The Christmas Lights
I read in the Dorking Advertiser that the Christmas Lights issue is back on the agenda. Every year it's the same - no money, the lights on their last legs and need replacing - yet they keep going. The Council refusing to pay towards the lights.
Apparently there is a fund raising event on in St Martins Walk this Saturday if anyone is passing and would like to contribute.


3 Comments:
Yes, I think the Chrsitmas lights are a worthy cause. They make the town centre look festive. They are also very special compared to the efforts of the neighbouring towns. I am sick and tired about people complaining about the costs of the lights -- what killjoys!! Remember, it was about four or five years ago, when Dorking had NO lights at all. It was a really sorry sight and I hope that never happens again. Along with the unique arrangement of lights, there are also Christmas trees in prominent sites in the town centre. I am positive that it encourages people to come in to shop, eat and drink over the festive period.
I also remember when Dorking had no Chrismas lights one year. It was so depressing and the town had no atmosphere.
Quite a few letters this week in the Advertising slating Hazel Watson, who spoke up for Mole Valley giving more money for the Christmas lights in Dorking. What a bunch of scrooges!!! Dorking is the biggest town in Dorking (in terms of its size not population) and should receive more funding from Mole Valley than Leatherhead. I am sick and tired of people complaining about the cost of these lights. I really like them and I am in my early thirties.
How about diverting some of the money from the Cockerel campaign to the Christmas lights campaign?? Apparently, the Cockerel statue on the Deepdene roundabout, is STILL going ahead. It has been delayed for the time being but will appear on the roundabout before the end of 2006 -- I really cannot wait (with just a hint of sarcasm!)
Post a Comment
<< Home