The Dorking Blog

News and Views from the market town of Dorking, Surrey.

Tuesday, September 19, 2006

The Dorking Cock - Quietened down?

It seems like a year ago there was much speculation about the controversial Dorking Cock Statue due to appear on Deepdene Roundabout. What has happened of late - everything seems to have gone a bit quiet.

Even people in the town have stopped talking about it now - probably only for it to suddenly emerge as a massive waste of money and resources.

I must say one thing though. I was abroad recently and I noticed that many countries do indeed make roundabouts distinctive with statues and fountains etc. I am looking forward to seeing what all the fuss is about.

4 Comments:

At 9:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hopefully, this so-called project has finally been put to rest! With the £20,000, hopefully the council will look at re-opening the toilets in South Street and repairing the awful pavements in the High Street, South and West Street. The pavements are a disgrace - covered in chewing gum and grease and are a safety hazard as some of the paving slabs are loose and irregular. One positive note is the hanging baskets dotted around the town centre were absolutely gorgeous this year. They certainly brought a smile to my face and some much needed colour to some of the drabber parts of Dorking.

 
At 9:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cock statue on roundabout STILL going ahead. It will be completed very shortly and will be placed on Deepdene roundabout before the end of the year (ie. 2006). Cannot wait!! -- with just a hint of sarcasm;)

 
At 6:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Its there ! Not unveiled yet but its definitely there. I can see it being the butt of many jokes, but I think we will come to love it.

 
At 5:02 AM, Blogger Russell said...

local riding the Dorking cock statue:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xj3e8XUKbos

 

Post a Comment

<< Home