JD Wetherspoon - Oh there is a lord!
It seems hard to believe but there is a rumour on here that JD Wetherspoon could be looking at the old Harley Davidson site.
This is the same idea that was turned down years ago before HD took it over. Back then I think that planning permission was turned down twice.
Make no mistake I am no real fan of Wetherspoon pubs, but any attack on our pubs persistent overpricing has to be a good thing. A pint of Stella in Dorking is now over three quid! Whereas in other towns it can be found for about a pound cheaper - that is also the case with many other beers. Everyone I have spoken to is amazed at the ridiculously high cost of a night out in Dorking and wonders how the publicans get away with it. It is a joke when you think of what the customers receive, sub-standard cleanliness and dodgy toilets. Of course it is nothing more than a cartel which drives this part of the Dorking economy.
Neighbouring towns have integrated these pubs with great success it would also add a much needed focus to that end of the town.


7 Comments:
In my opinion, I would not favour a JD Wetherspoons in Dorking. I want to point out that that I am not a landlord of any pub in the vicinity of Dorking. Having been recently to the Wetherspoons for my sins recently in Leatherhead and Epsom, it has confirmed my worst fears that these places are devoid of any atmosphere, it is run like a fast food restaurant (ie. staff don't greet you, are unhappy with their place of work and NEVER smile!), beer is cheap but, can be undrinkable at times and the food is on par with Macdonalds. Wetherspoons also have the weird combination of drunks ordering alcohol from once they open and don't leave till 1AM/2AM and kids are constantly running around out of control whilst their parents get more and more pissed! Dorking does NOT need a Wetherspoon. They do not enhance an area rather than ruin it by undercutting the opposition at all costs and putting them out of business. However, I agree that the prices of alcohol in Dorking are outrageous and something needs to be done pretty soon. Otherwise, the public will head elsewhere to go for a drink or spend the evening at home with a can of Sainbury's special brew!!
I really do agree that wetherspoons while being an anonomous cheap place to drink is not in my opinion a great pub and wouldn't benefit dorking, on the other hand i would rather see the former HD garage as a W/spoons pub than a residential block of flats which i understand is another rumour.
I agree that I would rather see a Wetherspoons or any other type of pub instead of a residential development which is only more overpiced 'luxury' flats or houses.
Another person on here made a great statement "Who are we in Dorking to complain". I couldn't agree more.
The Leatherhead Wetherspoons is truly awful. But there again when has anything in Leatherhead been done right.
With all the money that has been spent in Leatherhead over the years (ie. one way system, statues, feature near More etc.) Leatherhead is still DEAD!! The pubs are full of losers, misfits, drunks etc. and have little or no atmosphere. The Swan Centre is still a dismal place to shop and the town centre has NO character whatsoever. Dorking is still a pleasant place to shop, have a bite to eat and down a pint or two.
Gotta say that I think Leatherhead is really turning a corner. I lived there for years before moving to Dorking. Having been back there a couple of times recently, I was really impressed with the excellent range of restaurants, an increased number of shops, the street stalls, etc etc. The buzz there was better than it has been in many years. Pubwise, not so good but the Dukes Head is a pretty good alternative to the Wetherspoons.
Post a Comment
<< Home