New Housing Development, Church Street
Maybe I am jumping the gun a little here but I recently part of Church Street, in between the Kings Arms and The Star pub, has been demolished and now stands clear for what could be a development of about four houses.
Church Street is one of my favourite streets in the town, the area near the St Martins Church and North Street just feel like 'the old quarter'. It is such a shame that most of the houses sold down here in the last year have almost instantly reappeared as 'buy-to-let'. Maybe I will post more on this subject later as it is one which I feel quite strongly.
There have been a number of new residential developments in the town centre during the last year including apartments in Church Street, houses in Ansell Road and quite a large development of houses up St Pauls Road.


3 Comments:
Don't forget the huge housing development near the Dorking Sports Centre by Linden Homes which is a mixture of flats, small houses and an elderly people's home. Also there is a huge development currently taking place on the A24 (going towards Horsham) before Chart Downs by Cala Homes. Thankfully, things in Dorking have not got too bad with new housing developments as most of them seem to be in keeping with the surrounding area.
Just look at Esher, Cobham etc. as every scrap of land is being built on. Huge, soulless estates are being built there, as well as, huge houses, being squeezed onto tiny plots of land!
I cannot believe I forgot about the Linden Homes development.
Most new housing has, so far, looked quite attractive and in keeping with the town.
It does amaze me though that many new designs have such small windows.
Have to agree with the comment about small windows on many new developments. Another thing that puzzles me is that a number of the new developments in Dorking town centre have very little or nothing in the terms of parking! The newish development (which states that 50% have been sold...) in Church Street has NO parking also the one in between The Kings Arms and The Star pubs will have no parking as well. This is ridiculous. New developments without parking should NOT be approved by Mole Valley. I can see a great deal of illegal parking as we all know that people will be too lazy to park in the council car parks. Another development that spring to mind is the one down on Ansell Road past the post office sorting office on the right hand side. Six two/three bedroomed houses and a grand total of three car parking spaces for the entire development!!!
Post a Comment
<< Home