The Dorking Blog

News and Views from the market town of Dorking, Surrey.

Sunday, February 19, 2006

West Street pubs - Saturday night

We went out tonight with a decision to not go to the Old House, considering the mess of last week. It turned out to be the right move as it was ridiculous with loads of people queueing outside again.

Instead we went to the Kings Arms which was suprisingly good, in fact very good. Strangely enough, during in the evening (about 9.30pm), most of the staff of the Old House (including the owners) were in the Kings drinking, although only for about an hour. It must have been some celebratory night out, or maybe a way to escape the horde.

I noticed that the actual owner of the Kings was also working tonight (although the somewhat unpopular manager was still around), anyway the pub had a fantastic atmosphere, great soft lighting, was warm, for once, and was really lively. Loved it.

Later we left to go to The Star, which was somewhat disappointing. Lots of kids and it closes suprisingly early, about 11.30pm. Out of all the pubs I am suprised that The Star closes at this time as it has always previously been much more relaxed.

5 Comments:

At 6:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heard there was some sort of a party last night at The King's Arms as the really unpopular landlord and his partner were leaving to pastures new.... Hopefully, the new couple who are taking over will give the place a much needed lift! They could start by cleaning the pipes for the lager and the beer (so...it is does not taste all the same!) Secondly, the place has become quite dirty over the last couple of years. The toilets need to be condemned...as they are always flooded, broken, vandalised etc. As far I am concerned, I would NEVER eat at The Kings Arms as the toilets are always filthy! One last thing, the staff in the last year or so, NEVER smile, strike up a conversation and are generally very lazy and apathetic - this needs to change with immediate affect!

 
At 12:16 AM, Blogger The Cockerel said...

I totally agree with all of these points as I know they are entirely justified. I have posted a number of reports on here about the Kings Arms recent decline. It is an interesting point about the staff and I too have found them unwelcoming. The problem is compounded when the staff are constantly changing and then treat clientele like cattle when they have been regularly drinking in there, trouble free, for years.

I am also very pleased that the unpopular landlord is leaving. Blimey, if I had known it was a party for his departure then I would have had a few more drinks to celebrate!

 
At 8:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can speak only for the gent's lavatory, and it is no worse than any of the other pubs in Dorking, which I admit might not be saying much. A shame to miss out on the food which I have often thought is one of Dorking's best kept secrets. The quality and presentation of the food served in the restaurant at the rear is excellent in my opinion. My only complaint is that the vegetables although of good quality are invariably the same. Nobody seems to know about the restaurant, and it is oftef completely empty while the pub is heaving.

 
At 11:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

RE: The toilets @ The King's Arms

Well, in response to Jazzer, if these toilets are no worse than any of the other pubs in Dorking, well I am really shocked! Although, I am not a great fan of chain pubs (like Ember, Vintage Inns etc.) at least, there toilets are checked every hour and are clean most of the time. Hygiene, should be of the utmost importance in a public house, especially, when they are serving food! I am staggered that the pubs in Dorking feel the punters should be subject to constant flooding, foul smells, broken windows, piss all over the floors, soap dispensers, hand driers NOT working etc. Well, if that is the way the landlords of these pubs want to leave them, so be it! As for dirty toilets this equates to a dirty bar and a dirty, unhygienic kitchen, in my book....

 
At 12:56 AM, Blogger The Cockerel said...

When you are drinking you often seem to ignore the state of the pub toilets in the town, maybe I am used to it. However if I was out having one pint and and a meal they would definitely become an issue.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home