The smoking ban and Dorking pubs
Everyone probably knows about the smoking ban, due to come into effect in 2007, and in a recent by visitor post on here it has been questioned on how this might affect the pubs in Dorking, with particular reference to pubs like The Star.
I go in The Star regularly and share the same feelings that the ban could have real implications for that pub. Most people who go in there seem to smoke, as do the staff - it is that sort of pub. They do have an outside seating area, but it is on the street. On their website (under News) it states that they are opposed to the ban and might just escape it (previously the ban was only for 'food serving' establishments). It would be interesting to see their view, if announce something on the site, now that the full ban has been passed. The White Hart in Dene Street would be another pub particularly vulnerable to the ban.
In fact there is a very large number of regular visitors to Dorking pubs who smoke, it will change nights out considerably. I am a smoker and the only thing I can find positive about the ban would be that it would be easier to give up when you don't have to go through the dreaded psychological torture that is going to the pub, seeing other smokers and wanting a fag. Mind you I will probably be looking out longingly at a freezing beer garden this time (Feb) in 2008.


4 Comments:
The smoking ban is long overdue -- over the last couple of years, I have been avoiding the pubs in Dorking town centre and they are incredibly smoky! The vast majority of them, have not had the courage to adopt a non-smoking area, ban cigars and pipes etc. Arty P's, have to their credit adopted a non-smoking area but sadly, this has abused numerous times, as a lot of people still go in there with their pint and light up cigaratte after cigarette. I still don't how this is going to be enforced -- will the Surrey Police go into every pub or stake them out every fortnight?? I think it lead to frayed tempers and people will go out and hang outside the pub on the High Street, South Street etc. and create more of a racket, have their cigarettes and leave their pints, bottles lying there on the street, waiting to be smashed and put through the neighbouring shop!
All in all, if EVERY pub in Dorking had good ventiliation, had a small smoking area, banned pipes and cigars -- I would have been much happier! I have been trying to have a nice drink without the affects of all the smoke for years and because the pubs, have forgot that the majority of people don't smoke, a lot of people have gone to restaurants, the cinema, theatre etc. for their evening entertainment!
I have heard that most people in Ireland have adaped and accepted the ban and now think of it as the norm. It seems to have had a similar affect in the US.
I also have been thinking about the second post and agree that Dorking pubs do not provide adequate facilities for non-smokers. Most of the pubs are small and not well ventilated. Even for a smoker they can sometimes feel smokey on the eyes.
It will be interesting to see if there are any changes to how pubs are decorated in the future as they will not have to consider the smoke damage.
Apparently, when the smoking ban became law in Ireland, other smells became more prevalent in the pubs. And, I am not talking about the smell of food either! We are talking about body odour, passing of wind, poor hygiene. Give me a smoky pub any day of the week!!
That last post was quite amusing! I feel it was also disturbingly true.
Post a Comment
<< Home