The Dorking Blog

News and Views from the market town of Dorking, Surrey.

Thursday, February 23, 2006

Chimes Cafe, St Martins Walk

I have heard that the new Chimes Cafe in St Martins Walk, previously Mr Pips, is opening today (Thursday 23rd February). I had a glimpse and it looks nice. I can see why they have done it, but I would much rather sit in the square when the weather is nice. I think that on a nice day the square is a real asset to the town, the outside seating provides a real focal point. I am not sure how much increased business the shop will produce in the summer.

5 Comments:

At 3:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck to the new coffee shop / cafe which is opening up in St. Martins Walk (SMW)- it will really need it!! Rumours are there are at least three or four units which are going to close in SMW, in the not too distant future. Thanks to Thornfield Properties, they are squeezing the retailers by increasing their business rates, service charges etc. by a huge amount! So, when I asked Mole Valley District Council & Dorking Town Management, about it they said they could not comment as St. Martins Walk is a 'private' shopping centre and is NOT part of Dorking town centre. In, other words, it does NOT exist!! It is therefore, being rundown and units are being purposely left empty so that, Sainsburys can move in and demolish SMW and build their wonderful superstore.... Why do the residents of Dorking sit back and do nothing about this?? If I wanted to live a clone town, I would have moved to Guildford, Epsom, Sutton, Kingston, Woking, Camberley etc.

 
At 1:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't worry Chimes is staying put in SMW. The new coffee shop (called something Coffee Lounge)is a new venture by the owner of Chimes. They both intend to stay in SMW thank goodness. Looked into the new coffee shop last night albeit in the dark and it looked very nice. There are a few things that I have some reservations about - i) it does look quite small and the tables look on top of one another ii) will smoking be allowed?? I sincerely hope NOT - as it does not look like it has adequate ventiliation and smokers have other places to go to ie. Harley Cafe (bottom of West St.), Cafe on South Street, Cafe Rouge on the High Street etc. and, iii) it does look a little clinical at the moment, a few pictures on the wall would not go amiss!

 
At 1:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Has anyone been to the new coffee shop in St. Martins Walk yet?? I walked by it on Saturday afternoon and it was heaving! The place was doing a roaring trade at the expense of Chimes. Good luck to this place as well as this place might Dorking's answer to COSTA, Caffe Nero etc.

Also, congratulations are in order to the Dorking Rugby Club, who won their semi-final at the Big Field in Brockham by 24-18. They are now off to Twickenham to play in the final in early April.

 
At 5:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The new coffee shop is very nice, is non-smoking but, is very very expensive. Large cappachino's are £2.50 and sadly, the place does seem to have much in terms of food. All they offer is cakes, bagels etc. It is a good addition to St. Martins Walk but sadly, this place belongs in Esher or Weybridge and NOT in Dorking!

 
At 10:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't much like the owner of Chimes (and the new coffee shop). Lets just say that I have heard a lot of bad things.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home