Clothes Shopping in Dorking
Things have improved recently for young people looking for trendy clothes in Dorking.
It is good to see Oxygen Outdoor still trading in St Martins Walk. This shop has some nice stuff and friendly staff. Then we have Origin, which is another welcome addition to the town, selling Diesel and other well known makes. There is also another one down near Dene Street and I will update the name when I remember it.
All of these shops fill a gap that has existed since Avian (previously in the Rotundra) closed in the early 90's!


6 Comments:
There are also a lot of upmarket women's shop that have opened in the last year or so. Nina Boutique and Bakehouse on West Street. Amie Clothing (Olde Kings Court) on the High Street and don't forget there is Shrewd for teens, on the High Street (next to Contessa) and a new shop selling pre-teen and teenage clothing has opened up a few weeks ago, next to Patrick Gardners (estate agent). All in all, Dorking has more to offer than ever before it terms of clothing shops. It is a real shame, that whenever I go by them, that they do not seem to attract much passing trade. It seems that the residents of Dorking, would rather go to Kingston or Guildford to buy their brand name clothing!
Thanks for that, yes I had forgot about all of those other new shops. I really hope they are successful.
Also I have remembered another one Jane Elliot, which seems to sell some stylish female clothing, situated opposite the Halifax, right near Hairs and Graces hairdressers.
In response to the anonymous comment above do you think it is the case that dorking residents prefer to go to larger towns to buy their clothing?
To the posting above, I guess people would rather buy their clothes at places like Next, the Gap, FCUK etc. Dorking, cannot cater to that market I am afraid. The units in Dorking are far too small and the population of Dorking (which includes the villages) is only 20,000! There is no way that a chain clothing store will open up here as there is not a big enough population. Also, places like Crawley, Guildford and Kingston are very easy to get to by car. So, in other words, we will have to make do with Saffron, Origin and Music 4 U rather than a Esprit, Gap and a HMV!!
Totally agree with Grumpy Old Git, on everything you say about independent shops. It is a crying shame that the vast majority of people who rather drive all the way to Bluewater, Croydon (Whitgift & Centrale), Kingston and Guildford, to do their shopping. I buy my suits at Ian Munro's, which is on the High Street and the service is absolutely brilliant! Their suits are good value for money, brand name and the people who work there, don't pressure you into buying any old thing. I would rather go there than Moss Bros, M&S etc. In a strange way, it is kind of like the fictional show "Are You Being Served?"
yes going in some of these shops is a bit like going into jones bros with captain peacock etc however i do think most of the shops have moved on and are quirky in a modern way now, when you enter an independent shop now i think it is unlikely you will walk out without getting into a conversation with the person behind the counter leaving you with lasting thoughts and a feeling of being a real person rather than a ticket or a number
Post a Comment
<< Home