The Dorking Blog

News and Views from the market town of Dorking, Surrey.

Thursday, May 04, 2006

The White Horse Hotel - the insiders view

The White Horse Hotel really contributes to the overall appearance of the town. An old coaching in it is quaint, attractive and pleasantly imposing. But do any of us ever go in there? I have occasionally visited the bar, usually only to meet someone, and it once in it feels like a haven away from the High Street - especially on Friday and Saturday nights.

Anyway click here to see a few reviews of what Worldwide travellers have say about the hotel.

The official Macdonald White Horse Hotel website can be viewed here

3 Comments:

At 1:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have noticed for the last couple of years that The White Horse Hotel really seems to be struggling!! Every time, I go by it in the evening, there is very few people eating dinner there. Went to the bar area a few years ago and asked for a large glass of white wine and they quoted me a price of £6!!! I know Dorking is really expensive, but this really takes the p*ss! The staff seem to be really snobby as well. It also does not help that the chavs congregate outside on the benches outside The White Horse most evenings - being abusive, leaving all their litter behind and generally being nasty to everyone walking by, whilst the police turn a blind eye....

 
At 11:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Agree that The White Horse is in a real mess. The only time, I use it to park there for a hour or two and therefore, avoid paying the parking charges and to go to the toilet. At least, they are clean unlike the one's down in St. Martin's Walk which are covered in graffiti and kids constantly messing around in there! The White Horse needs to be brought into the 21st Century. It is very stuffy, the staff have their head's up there arses and therefore, it is empty most of the time. I have a friend, who works at The Burford Bridge (same chain) and he told me that The White Horse is only mediocre at best. The hotel has lost it's way, staff turnover is very high and the management are rarely there. What a shame!

 
At 3:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Noticed in The Guardian (the free newspaper which is put through people's post boxes NOT the left wing one!) that The White Horse Hotel in Dorking is looking for receptionists, staff for the kitchen, waiters/waitresses, a chef, cleaners etc. Ths does NOT look good as, it seems that there is NO one working there anymore. Popped in yesterday to see if I could I book a conference room for June 2006 only, to be told that the managing director is on holiday for six weeks. It sounds like, he is on gardening leave! Hmm.....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home