The Star Public House - A step too far?
A couple of people have said to me recently that The Star has become too 'clicky' of late. I tend to agree. I always loved the place but recently it seems that the 'Culture Conspiracy' of which the pub has built its image seems to getting in the way of traditional pub values.
Bands are frequently playing in a pub which is just too small. When the music is loud, basically conversation ends. More worryingly is this culture of people taking to the microphone to read out poems and words of literature that they have put together. The main problem is most of them are the same people week after week and basically are close friends of the landlord. When they are reading there is a deadly silence throughout the pub.
Maybe I am being cynical but I can imagine it - "What shall we dress up in this week?" or "All go away and write a poem about the sea". Many visitors are not really interested in all this stuff and simply want to go in for a pint and a chat. This is forcing them to drink elsewhere.
Good idea - but maybe a little too enforced.


3 Comments:
I tend to agree with your sentiments about The Star. Whilst, it is refreshing to see something a little different in the way of entertainment ie. readings, poetry and untraditional music etc. -- it seems that it takes over the pub, most evenings of the week! The landlord should realise that the pub is way too small, to have bands playing as it often crammed full of twenty-somethings, jostling for a place at the bar, is far too smoky for my liking and the art of conversation is completely lost. The Star has improved a great deal in the last couple of years but, there is the danger that it is alienating a lot of the regulars, who like a quiet drink in a very relaxing pub environment. I know it must be very hard to find a balance in this argument as The Star is incredibly small, serves NO food and therefore, relies heavily on the bands, poets, readings etc. But, please can the "Culture Conspiracy" nights be limited to just ONE night during the week!?!
whilst I understand that there is always a certain balance that needs to be maintained between regular custom and arranged music nights after managing my own music pub in Derby called the Horse and Groom, I think that the 'culture conspiracy' project is a fantastic way for aspiring musicians to be heard by an informal audience and to meet other like-minded people. Dorking has a plethora of watering holes and it's certainly not difficult to find one with nothing in the way of entertainment which would cater to those of you looking for a quiet pint but if there is to be any kind of music scene in Dorking (which the newly developed Dorking halls would thrive on) then the star should be supported fully in this endevour. Surely if the landlord has chosen a direction for his pub and has the customers to justify this decision whilst promoting the local arts scene it can only be a good thing?
Thank you for your well presented comments. I am not totally against the 'Culture Conspiracy' and think that it is well marketed and is sometimes entertaining. I just thought, at the time, it was bordering on becoming blinkered in its approach and was in danger in catering for only a limited market.
However I have visited the Star many times recently and things seem to have been toned down slightly.
Post a Comment
<< Home