Arty p's - Expensive but good
I have always maintained that drinking in Dorking pubs is overpriced - and I still do!
However I did spend an evening up at Arty P's this evening - it is probably the most expensive in town - but the atmosphere was sophisticated (especially for Dorking) and relaxed. I must say that in the week they have definitely got it right. The garden was packed with a mixed crowd of groups of well behaved men and attractive women just sitting, chatting and eating. On such a beautuful evening, it was great!
This is what Dorking needs, well run modern pubs with a traditional (almost cosmopolitan) atmosphere.


2 Comments:
I have to agree with your comments about Arty P's. It is indeed a very expensive pub with Guinness and a pint of lager pushing past the £3 barrier. Yet...this pub has undergone a huge transformation from the bad old days of The Jolly Butcher which was dirty, full of spotty faced youths itching for a fight and a drug den. Arty P's may not be everybody's taste ie. an unmarket pub/wine bar but, it certainly seems to have worked which can certainly be put down to the hard work of Rob and Viv (the landlord and landlady). The staff are courteous, very friendly and go out of their way to make it a pleasant atmosphere. Thursday's, Friday's and Saturday's are pretty good there and are a welcome change to some of the more clicky pubs in Dorking. The only thing apart from the prices of drink and food is that earlier on in the week (Monday, Tuesday etc.) it can be a little sterile in terms of atmosphere. The beer garden at Arty P's is also a big positive!
I totally agree with the early weekday atmosphere. It can seem a little sterile and uninviting.
Should improve in the summer months with the excellent beer garden.
Post a Comment
<< Home