The Dorking Blog

News and Views from the market town of Dorking, Surrey.

Wednesday, May 24, 2006

M&S, St Martins Walk

The chains profits are up and they deserve to be. I know the food can sometimes be slightly more expensive than other supermarkets but I think it is definitely of a better quality.

Anyway, Following the on-going refurbishment of M&S Dorking, I went into the store the other day and Wow! It was like walking into another shop, they really have changed things. It is part of this new thinking - clothes on white floors, food on black. I am not sure they should be extending the clothes section with the expense of the range of food in Dorking, but I am assured that the food section offers more choice than it did before - it is just more condensed.

I would be interested to hear any comments on the re-design.

4 Comments:

At 8:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think the refurbishment is a disaster! I went in on Wednesday afternoon and was shocked to see the food squeezed into one corner. The selection of fruit, vegetables and food in general was very poor and they were out of stock on numerous items. When I enquired with a lady who worked there, she admitted that they are streamlining the food in favour of promoting the Per Una ladies clothing range. What a disgrace!! M&S have shot themselves in the foot with this one. I have always enjoyed their food, good quality and don't mind paying the bit extra but, in future, I will head to Waitrose. What were the hell the Management thinking?? Also, why have they made such a big deal out of their bakery? I cannot believe that they have spent £100,000 on the refurbishment of this store, to have better lighting and floors at the expense of less stock and a poorer selection of food!

 
At 10:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

HERE HERE !!!!!

 
At 11:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good old M&S -- had the chance to be a success in Dorking and then blows it!!! Great idea, to promote womens clothing at the expense of their food -- I for one, will stop going there. Their new layout is a JOKE! So, I guess M&S will move out in the next year or two and the Sainsbury's Superstore will move in to save the day...

 
At 12:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have noticed that M&S in Reigate has reverted completely over to food. Now, in future, I will be popping over to Reigate to do my shopping there. The M&S in Reigate is fantastic...NO empty shelves, nice staff, good quality food unlike the M&S in Dorking which is a joke! Went in yesterday to the one in Dorking, there are still out of stock of a lot of lines and why, do they keep promoting their damn bakery, Per Una range etc.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home