The Dorking Blog

News and Views from the market town of Dorking, Surrey.

Friday, March 24, 2006

Mobile Phone Shops in Dorking

With speculation over what might become of the retail outlet formerly Thomson Travel Agents a visitor on here has found out that it might become a Phones4U, which was a total suprise.

I remember a phone shop called One2Call (where Dorking Flowers now resides), it was a good shop and when it sadly closed we were left with only the one in St Martins Walk remaining. Hmmmm - That shop in St Martins Walk is strange, it has been there for quite a while now but I never think of going there, it seems somewhat invisible. A few years ago it was populated by a gang of blokes who were just hanging out in there, probably friends with some guy who worked there. It isn't like that anymore but I don't really remember seeing hardly anyone in there. I also remember another shop called KJC Phones (or something like that), somewhere around where Shrewd now is - that sort of came and went.

I was pleased when the Carphone Warehouse opened. It was quite nice and refreshing to see a major high street chain in Dorking. It seems to do a good amount of trade.

Phones4U - Judging by the amount of trade the Carphone Warehouse seems to be drawing in I suppose it makes sense for another well known brand to open a shop. At first I was suprised at the close proximity to the existing shop, but I suppose it is better for the consumer if shops like this are in close vicinity of each other and maybe the deals will be even cheaper.

1 Comments:

At 11:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wonder how many people remember the mobile phone shop next to woodcocks that was an independent, why do we lose all independent stores to multiples. The 2 young men that used to run that store offered a unique helpful service, i believe that shop was called one to one, well it certainly was one to one service

 

Post a Comment

<< Home