The Dorking Blog

News and Views from the market town of Dorking, Surrey.

Thursday, March 30, 2006

Crime and the Police

Dorking has one of the lowest crime rates in the country but occasionally we do get the odd serious incident. It has been reported in the Dorking Advertiser (and on here) that Black's, the jewellers was broken into on Saturday night. I saw the boarded up window on Sunday morning and thought it was probably that some drunk had taken out his frustration on the glass.

It came as no suprise that the police took 45 minutes to get to the scene as I have occasionally reported incidents myself and it is painful what you have to go through on the phone when you ring the local stations, they seem to want to know more about you than what you are reporting. Then it takes ages for the Police to turn up. I did however spot a fire once and dialled 999 and the response was lightning quick, which is encouraging.

2 Comments:

At 4:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Once again, the Surrey Police are shown in bad light among the local media (Dorking and Surrey Advertisers). Well, I have to agree with them. A recent example is when I witnessed a really nasty fight outside The Malthouse, a few months ago. I called 999 and when I got through to the operator at Mounte Browne, Guildford. She seemed to be more interested in giving me the third degree. It was question after question - it must have lasted fifteen minutes. The final straw was when I asked for my ethnic origin, nationality etc. What has this got to do with the fight that got worse outside The Malthouse?? Anyway, to cut a long story short, the fight got worse, more people were involved and quite a few, were also calling the police. 30 minutes later and the ringleaders who were obviously drunk, decided to drive off in a very erratic manner at great speed. Called the police again and the operator said the units were busy elsewhere and since they had left the scene the police would turn up the following morning. This fight took place on a Monday night!! The police did not turn up the following morning either and I had to wait a week for the community support officer to turn up and you guessed it, to give me a crime reference number and take my details again!!! This is outrageous and it is little wonder why crime is getting out of control in Dorking Town Centre as it seems that nobody is held to account at the police station in Moores Road.

 
At 2:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why don't the Surrey Police admit that they have no manpower to cover Dorking and the villages??? I have a friend who works for the Surrey Police who is based at Caterham and they field a lot of the calls for the Dorking area at the weekends, at night etc. It is little wonder that word has got out, that Mole Valley is perceived as a 'soft touch', and that people are coming from elsewhere like Croydon, Sutton, South London etc. to commit crime as there is NO chance of ever getting caught!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home