The Kings Arms, West Street
I did spend quite while on Saturday night in the Kings Arms. It was a really nice atmosphere - a bit like how it used to be a couple of years ago. There were, however, a couple of problems which indicate that the current management isn't what it used to be.
Now it wasn't that packed, but we sat on our table with about twelve empty glasses and a full ashtray. It was about 45 minutes before they were collected.
The beer was also very 'suspect'. The lager had a massive foamy head on it which actually grew the longer it stood. It looked like some sort of ice cream blob on the top after a couple of minutes. This to me is unforgivable and says that their pipes need cleaning - Now please!.
I have always liked The Kings for years, but one thing I can't stand is a badly run pub. It's the simple things that count, like good beer and cleanliness!


4 Comments:
Was at The Kings Arms on Saturday late afternoon and I totally agree that the atmosphere was really nice - it was very mellow, people were reading the newspapers, having a chat and there was a nice mixture of people - young and old, male and female.
I totally agree about the quality of beer (I don't drink lager!), the beers and the Guinness is very average, at best! I noticed about six months ago, that the London Pride was flat and tasted it was coming out of the same pipes at the Greene King IPA & other guest beers. So, I moved onto the Guinness which on Saturday afternoon, was very poor! The head of the Guinness was not white but sooty grey in colour. So, I mentioned to the guy behind the bar (with glasses) and he said it looked alright. In other words, I was lumbered with an awful guinness at £3+ a pop! Who or where is the manager of this establishment? He needs to sort out the quality of the beer, guinness and the lager, pretty damn quick as this pub, has always had a reputation of being in the ...Good Beer Guide, Good Pub Guide etc.
I have always liked the Kings Arms in the past - it is a place where everyone could feel relaxed no matter what age or sex. It is 15th Century (I think) and retains that old atmosphere and design.
The owners need to take some control over the management to bring it back to its old self.
Does anybody know which pubs are open late now in Dorking? And if any are open late week nights or only Saturday? Cheers! I've always liked The Kings Head in the past as they often have some good guest ales.
New management, new events. The guy who runs things nowadays is an ale spcialist, the pipes are cleaned frequently and they even have a specially employed glass collector for fridays, saturdays and sunday nights when its busy.
The bar staff are extremely friendly and 99.9% of the time pour a damn good pint.
The original comment here was written back on 2006, i would just like to express that i have only been going there for under a year but i can honestly say it is the best pub in Dorking for a drink and a snack.
Bad points - toilets could be slightly bigger...
highly recommended *****
Post a Comment
<< Home