New DVD Shop in Dorking
Ethnicity - a shop which sold tasteful African style goods has sadly closed. But it has been swiftly replaced by a new shop selling DVD's. I haven't been in there yet but its good to see a shop like this appear in the town.
Quite a few interesting and more mainstream shops have opened lately, years ago when anything closed it used to be replaced by a bank or building society. When I was much younger I used to complain that too many restaurants kept opening in the town, although now I think that they really enhance the town, especially in the evenings.
One of my biggest disappointments was when a Funeral Directors shop opened near the Surrey Yeoman - it had things like urns and headstones in the window. Did a shop like that really need to be stuck on the high street? Thankfully it is now gone.


6 Comments:
It is about that a new CD / DVD shop opened up in Dorking. It is good value and has most of the latest releases. I would have preferred the shop to have sold solely CD's which cut across the whole spectrum from classical to classics to rock compilations. Good luck to Music 4 U! Why has this shop undergone so many changes in the last few years?? Used to be a mobile phone shop (KJC) a few years ago, then it sold bras and women's underwear and then it became a craft / furniture shop selling stuff from Africa, Asia etc.
Yes I also hope the new shop does well. Although looking at the high number of recent tenants I do hope that this particular outlet is not jinxed.
I had completely forgot about the womens lingerie shop!
EMPTY UNITS IN Dorking
Why are there so many empty units in Dorking town centre?? I know the rents are sky high and people choose to go to Guildford, Epsom, Croydon etc. I personally enjoy shopping in Dorking and try to buy about 90% of my stuff there! Parking is still relatively cheap compared to elsewhere ie. Reigate, Godalming etc. We still have some marvellous independent units and Dorking must be one of the very few places without a Starbucks, Caffe Nero, Costa etc.
One last thing, this Sainsburys development in St. Martins Walk is gathering steam....Thornfield Properties (part of Sainsburys) own St. Martins Walk and are driving out business there by increasing rents, service charges by 50% and the businesses/retailers, can only sign up for a minimum of 15 years now. There is an organisation dedicated to saving Dorking from the dreaded Sainsbury 'superstore' it's website is as follows....
www.dorkingsos.og.uk (sorry tried to link it!)
Will try again and get the website right, it is www.dorkingsos.org.uk
I agree that commercial rent in Dorking is way too high.
With regard to the proposed Sainsbury's development, I have created a new thread today on the site which links to the Dorking SOS site.
I must say that there is now a much wider variety of interesting shops. It helps Dorking feel a little different from many of the neighbouring towns. You can pick up some great Christmas gifts if you look around.
Post a Comment
<< Home