Any news on Bookends?
With Bookends closing it is going to be interesting what will take it´s place. I can only think that some sort gift shop would suit it as it is quite small and pokey.
It is a shame that the pub which occupied the site until the mid 70´s ever closed.


9 Comments:
No news on Bookends - it is still up for rent and the same applies to the other retail units which remain vacant, have closed recently or are due to close in the not to distant future. Also noticed that the unit that the Surrey Advertiser occupies in West Street has recently gone on the market with Robinsons in Reigate. I guess the Surrey Advertiser use this as a news office for the Dorking and Leatherhead editions. To be quite honest the Dorking and Leatherhead news only occupies a page or two at most in the predominately Guildford biased Surrey Advertiser - it really should be renamed the "Guildford Advertiser". Jo
Have been on the Surrey Police website earlier this morning and noticed that Richard Mundy, 48, was sentenced at Guildford Crown Court on Monday 8 September for GBH following the attack which took place on Monday 23 January outside the Cricketers Public House in South Street. He was sentenced to seven years in prison. The 40-year-old victim required emergency surgery in hospital after receiving multiple stab wounds. In my opinion, I thought the sentence was really lenient and deserved a great deal more. The Surrey Police were pleased with the sentence and wanted to reassure the community that the level of violence displayed in this attack is rarely seen in East Surrey. Yet more spin from the Police. I can only assume that Alastair Campbell is now probably in charge of the Communications Department at Mount Browne - The Surrey Police HQ.......
Cricketers Chris
This jail sentence is a joke - considering the person he stabbed was rushed to hospital (according to the Surrey Ad) with life threatening injuries including a punctured lung and wounds to his neck, back, arm and shoulder. The person in question, Mundy, will only serve HALF his sentence, minus the 228 days he has already spent in custody. You could not make it up!!!!! Even thought psychiatric reports carried out put Mundy at a HIGH risk level of committing further violent offences. The judge did not consider an extended sentence for the protection of the public was necessary. Unbloodybelievable. So much for this present government being "tough of crime, tough on the causes of crime."
PC Plod:(
The Surrey Advertiser is a joke. It usually consists of news that is recycled from the Dorking and Leatherhead Advertisers. It is a complete waste of money unless you want to read about the news from Guildford, Godalming etc. The property section also focuses on the Guildford area with scant coverage of Mole Valley. As for the sentence handed down by the courts, it is unduly lenient. As we all know, if you murder someone, you get on average about twelve years in jail in the UK. Life should mean life but, I guess we have not got the space in our overcrowded prison system.
Leatherhead Lip
The sentencing of Richard Mundy was front page news in this week's Advertiser. It was a very detailed account of the circumstances that led up to the stabbing outside The Cricketers. One thing, was it really necessary to show a picture of Brodie Dawson (the victim) showing off his numerous stab wounds??? I thought it was grotesque and was incredibly tabloid in fashion. What will the Advertiser show next - a picture of a school kid who has been flattened by a lorry outside the Ashcombe?? It is time they just reported the news and left these type of pictures to The Sun, Nuts and The National Enquirer. Jo
Agree with Jo's last comment above stating that the picture on page 4 that accompanied the front page story was totally unnecessary. It really spoiled the background details leading up to the event, the full court report and the interview with the victim. It is a very sad day, when the Advertiser decides to release a picture of this nature to shift a few extra newspapers. I know that the paper is now in a 'tabloid format' but surely, we don't want the paper to go down the same tacky tabloid route in the way of journalism and pictures. What will the Advertiser think of next -- will there be a page 3 pinup? A sexual advice column? Wall to wall coverage of reality tv shows? ~AP~
If your upset by a photograph like that I suggest that you live in the real world. I have seen much worse in some of the london papers like the croydon advertiser & surrey comet. Also if you dared to watch the news, cop shows and murder mysteries these are far more graphic in nature than the photograph mentioned.
I was in dorking at the weekend to attend my old school (Pixham) Heritage open day which was really interesting. I was there during the war but left the area a few years later.
Before going home yesterday I took a stroll from Moores Road to Pump Corner and back to specifically look at the shops I keep reading about on this site. With the exception of Alan Woodcock and AJ Clear who have been there since before WW2 the only survivors since the 1940s are Boots, WH Smith,Woolworth and Whites (estate/rent agency where my mum used to pay her rent)- and those because they probably own the freeholds. That means that
there has been an almost complete turnover of businesses in the High Street during the past 60 years. I suppose this is the same in most towns? West Street probably has some more original shops but I didnt get that far. Is Charles Degenhardt draper and SC Fuller bicycles still there in South Street? One of the most prominent sites has always been between South Street and West Street at Pump Corner where in the 1940s and 50s (and probably for many years before that) stood Loyns Bakery and Tea Shop to the left and Margareta Mills, a ladies underwear/dress shop on the right. Unmissable as one passed down West Street and along South Street in the bus. I also went into St Martin's Walk which was quite busy except for the far end and people were eating/drinking at cafe tables in brilliant sunshine. The town looked OK & Dorking with 360 degrees of beautiful scenery has much to commend it. OK, I realise it would look a bit different on rainy days but so does Brighton and Eastbourne where I now live, when we get gales and channel storms. If my circumstances were different I would love to live in Dorking - if I could afford it!
I popped into Bookends which was quite busy as well as the library at Pippbrook House. What a magnificent interior! What rich man once lived there with such a lovely garden?
David Newman
P.S Cockeral! I have to sign off as 'anonymous' as dont understand the procedure for acquiring an acceptable ID... Keep rejecting...
David,
You chose a good weekend to come to Dorking. The sun was shining and the town was thriving thanks to a lot of visitors taking a look at the town because of heritage weekend. It was wonderful to see so many visitors visiting the sites of the town, going into the shops, having a bite to eat in the numerous cafes and restaurants and drinking in the numerous watering holes. It really made me proud to live in Dorking as the town looked magnificent. West Street does indeed have some original shops - not all of them are antique shops! As for SC Fuller's it is undergoing refurbishment at the moment. It is due to re-open in a couple of weeks with more emphasis on the fishing and tackle side and less emphasis on the bicycle side of the business. I think if my memory serves me right, it is the oldest store in Dorking. ~AP~
PS - I have also tried signing in, but my identity and password keeps on getting rejected! In the end, I gave up and have decided to sign in under the anonymous tag, it is far easier.
Post a Comment
<< Home