Dorking Pubs
Reading the Dorking Advertiser, it was interesing to read about the current trouble being blamed on the Old House and Bulls Head public houses.
Simon (the landlord) has really gone through the mill just lately, although some of it has been justified.
When I heard the rumour posted on here that he might have something vaguely to do with the running of the Spotted Dog in the future, I was astounded, although not suprised. I am hoping that this claim is indeed based on wild rumours as it would be ridiculous if this was true.
I say that I wouldn't be suprised as I have always found it amazing that the 'Dorking Publicans' seem to move from pub to pub with ease and the extortionate prices charged are something that they have continued, together, to uphold for years.
It costs more for a pint in Dorking than in Covent Garden, or indeed any other town that I have ever visited. Yet there is no justification on why these high prices exist. Dorking has regular pubs, offering nothing out of the ordinary for the customer.
Simon being offered the Bulls Head, after he had moved to the Old House was like the England football team searching for a new manager. Was he really the only option for the brewery to make that pub work?
I am not against Simon as an individual, but I am against the system that seems to have been at work in the Dorking pub management scene for years - it's not what you know it's who you know.


6 Comments:
I have heard that there are numerous individuals who are interested in taking over the lease of the Spotted.
It has the potential to be a great pub, if it does good food and drink at reasonable prices. The beer garden has a great deal of potential. The problem with the last year of the Spotted, is there was a distinct lack of atmosphere in the pub. The pub offered very little except for the odd dart match! I also agree that the outside toilet was a very unusual facility at the pub. It was absolutely freezing in there and was probably more convenient to go in the nearest flower bed!
Westcott Willie would love to sample the delights of Dorking pubs, such as the Spotted Dog, of an evening. However there are no buses from Dorking to Westcott after 1852 and my gammy leg attached to my arthritic foot prevent me from making this journey in the way the Good Lord intended - on foot. So how would I get back from the delights of the big city as my war pension won't stretch to a taxi?
Westcott Willie
Went to the Spotted Dog last night and it was much better than I expected. The new couple are pretty new to the pub trade but have been regulars of the Spotted for years. The food is going to be done by Tony. Tony is an excellent chef who hails from Australia and has worked at the Pilgrim, Cricketers and the Prince of Wales in Westcott. His food is very good, is reasonably priced and he will offer a very varied menu. I think food is just going to be served at lunchtimes for now.
As for the pub itself, it was a little quiet on the customer front last night but, it certainly did not lack any atmosphere. The pub has been painted inside and the beer garden has been tidied up. The new couple have some plans up their sleeve, to revamp the Spotted Dog. Very best of luck to the 'new team' at the Spotted. The ales were also top notch. From there, I made my way to the Cricketers, which is further down on South Street. The pub was buzzing with customers and atmosphere. This pub has come on leaps and bounds since John Quinn, the landlord took over. They even have music from time to time and the London Pride is by far the best in Dorking!! After that, I staggered over to the Pilgrim. It was a very wise move even though the road has numerous potholes and is unlit. The Pilgrim, is very well run, has great staff and the locals are a great mix of people. Yes, it is a little bit on the expensive side but, the pub has a good range of beers, the food is excellent and there is never a hint of trouble. So, all in all, I had a good night out avoiding the pubs with the late licences and the anti-social drunks. I wish I had made it to the Star but, it was a little far, to make it to that bar!
DORKING Dan
DORKING Dan - I am not surprised that you are single, if you are a regular at the Cricketers, the Pilgrim and the Spotted Dog. The proportion of males to female must be at least 10:1!!!! I know these pubs are throughly decent watering holes but they are hardly the place to meet the opposite sex. Sadly, it seems the ladies of Dorking go to places further afield like Kingston and Guildford. The Surrey Yeoman and the Old House are not too bad at the weekend for attracting females. Unfortunately, these pubs are normally rammed full of underage kids from the Ashcombe and the Priory schools.
Leatherhead Lip
My idea of a good pub is a place that has an atmosphere and does not rely on a loud television, jukebox to keep the place buzzing! I like a place where there is a real mix of people and the conversation does not just revolve around football, drunken exploits etc. That is why, I like the vast majority of the public houses in Dorking - they are not pretentious, they do attract a varied crowd and we don't have to deal with the likes of Wetherspoons, Yates, Slug & Lettuce chains which are totally devoid of any atmosphere!! However, we do have a huge price to pay for this, as the price of a pint in Dorking is extortionate!! Well, the budget is taking place tomorrow afternoon and no doubt all the public houses in Dorking will get in on the act to push all their prices up. It looks like all the responsible drinkers' out there will get punished for the minority of binge drinkers' whose sole aim is to drink tons, get very drunk, have a fight, assault someone and end the night in the slammer. Pathetic. I am just waiting till I get taxed on the air I breathe in the town centre on a Friday and Saturday night.
DORKING Dan
Well, it looks like some of my previous comments have stirred up a hornets nest. I don't like to say this but Dorking Dan's ideal pub is the main problem with them. I find most of the pubs sterile, have no atmosphere and have people just staring at the next person to walk in the front door. I walked into the Cricketers a few weeks and the staff & the customers were watching the fishing channel!! How fun is that?? I have had a drunk trying to strike up a conversation with me at the Pilgrim! You call that atmosphere. To me, a pub should have sport (not fishing!) on the televison, a great jukebox, have plenty of young people and offer plenty of half priced drink promotions. The problem with students night @ the Bulls Head - is that it started off very well but all the pervs in Dorking have ended up going there to check out all the talent on display. So, Mo and his staff have spend most of the Monday nights recently just scratching their heads as all the ladies have decided to go elsewhere ie. preferably out of town!!
Phat Pete
Post a Comment
<< Home