The Bulls Head - Saturday Night
I went into the Bulls Head in South Street on Saturday night and experienced some alternative nightlife in Dorking. It is like a mini Malthouse from the late eighties, early nineties. Loud dance music, nightclub style lights, ice smoke and low lighting.
I say mini Malthouse because it mirrors what it was like then. I was a lot younger in those days and it was fantastic at the time. It was when John Bateman had it, he now is the landlord at The Pilgrim near Randmore Road.
I really don't know what to make of the Bulls Head now. On the one hand it adds to the variety of the town and on the other it is quite small in there and is full of the usual faces which is fine. There are some attractive (although mostly young) women and a couple of twats here and there. It is one of those places that I like in small doses but then crave quiet conversation in somewhere like the Kings Arms.
I also popped into The Star where they were holding a Sado-Masochism theme night. Was good harmless fun but blimey you never know what to expect in that place! Strange but inventive.


6 Comments:
I must admit I do not know what to make of The 'new' Bulls Head. As we all know by now, Mo is the landlord and Simon who also runs The Old House At Home has taken on the lease of The Bulls Head for three months. It does remind me a bit of The Malthouse and The Old House. I went to The Bulls Head yesterday (Sunday) evening - the lads and ladies were playing darts to house music from the late 1980's / early 1990's. The crowd were friendly enough but the cigarette smoke was overpowering!!
I decided to venture to The Surrey Yeomen, which was a little dead. The Polish girl behind the bar was very friendly and she made up for the lack of atmosphere at the pub. It was very quiet and in some ways a little depressing. I actually pine for the days when it used to be a Hogshead as it used to attract a varied crowd, which was young and old, male and female. Apparently, Friday and Saturday nights are like a meat market, a la, like The Malthouse.
After the Yeomen, I paid a visit to The Kings Arms. The band were amazing last night and the lady vocalist was out of this world. Again, it was very quiet for a Sunday night. Maybe, the word has got out the Dorking is a bloody expensive place to live, eat and DRINK in!!
DORKING Dan
The Bulls Head is no better than The Malthouse. They both attract chavs who cannot string a sentence with F'in and Blinding! Very sad, as it is one of the pubs which people from live outside Dorking, usually stumble on first. It is not particularly friendly and their lager and Guinness is not particularly well kept. The prices are outrageous and the food takes an age to come from the kitchen to your table. In other words, it is a real shame to see how far The Bulls Head has fallen over the years!! If I was Simon, I would cut my losses and concentrate on the Old House, as once the smoking ban comes in, this pub will be empty, very empty!!!
How does The Star get away with S&M theme nights in ultra Conservative Dorking??? Well done to Ian and his team for turning The Star into a very artistic, alternative venue. Not content with music theme nights with a twist, Ian should be congratulated for turning The Star around big time. There is even a recording studio on the first floor, for all you budding DJ's.
The best thing about The Star there is NO Televisions, showing the footie!! Even The Kings Arms to my horror was showing the football scores / summaries, last Saturday afternoon. Is no place sacred??? As for The Bulls Head, it is only a matter of time, before SKY and the footie take over this pub. Simon's passion for football and Chelsea FC, in particular will make sure that a wide screen television / plasma screen, is probably already on order! ~AP~
What is wrong with televisions, plasma screen showing the beautiful game at the pub???? AP - you are such a snob!! I could think nothing finer that watch a live game in the pub sinking a (few) pints of Stella, enjoying my ciggies, loving the banter and atmophere. If you don't like the footie, go to the village pubs and stay out of Dorking!! The Star is crap, full of artsy fartsy people. As for people who complan about the smoke in the pubs get a life -- if it bothers you that much, why don't you stay out of the pubs till July 1st -- morons!
Rip Off Price Watch --
I was charged a whopping £3.30 (yes, £3.30!!) for a pint of Guinness at The Plough in Leatherhead. It is a pub to avoid. Has a separate lounge bar and public bar. To be quite the Guinness was awful and the atmosphere was no better. Any pub with a more expensive price of a pint around?? The most expensive pubs in Dorking (The Old House, The Pilgrim, The Kings Arms and The Bulls Head) all charge £3.20 for a pint of Guinness.
Rip Off Price Watch -
(Part 2) Charged £3.30 for a pint of Guinness at The Swan in Claygate. Not a bad pint but nonetheless, very expensive.
(Part 3) Was charged £3.35 for a pint of Guinness at The Bear in Oxshott yesterday evening. A truly shocking pint as the ordinary Guinness was 'warm' and lacked any flavour. I know that people who live in Oxshott are very well off but, surely they know the difference between a good pint and a bad one! The Bear used to be a nice local. Now, it is a nasty wine bar / gastro pub. RUBBISH. Even the barmaids were miserable as sin.
DORKING Dan
Post a Comment
<< Home