Pizza Piazza, South Street
The Pizza Piazza in South Street was a really popular restaurant in the 1980's and early 90's but has since fallen desperately in decline. It has recently closed, although I don't know how many people were regular visitors as I hardly heard it mentioned in recent years and more people seemed to notice that Prezzo had changed.
The last time I went into Pizza Piazza (about two years ago) it was dead. It looked tired, stank of stale cigarette smoke and also suffered from slow service and stale bread. A victim of both bad management and competition from much better run establishments like Pizza Express, on the High Street.
My only concern is what will happen to the building, which the restuarant previously occupied. It is particularly attractive and I feel it is essential that it remains a restuarant or similar. Hopefully not offices!


5 Comments:
I made some queries a few months back about the former Pizza Piazza building on South Street. I phoned the headquarters of Pizza Piazza which are based in Chessington and asked to speak to someone who would give me more information (ie. square footage, rent etc.) on the building and sadly, no-one ever got back to me. Tried again a few weeks ago, left a message and once again, have heard from not a single soul. I totally agree it is a beautiful building and deserves a lot better. It would make a really nice restaurant or dare I say it, an upmarket wine bar perhaps! Also went a few years ago, to Pizza Piazza and ended up to be a hugh disappointment. Service was very poor that night, starters were all mixed up and the main courses (pastas) were all cold and uninspiring.
An upmarket wine bar would be great addition to the town. Shame it is right next to The Cricketers public house, but it would still be great!
A great opportunity for The Cricketers to expand. At the moment seating in the pub is very limited. If it took over the Pizza piazza premises it could also offer food in the evenings.
Good idea, the Cricketers does suffer from that corridor feeling.
In this weeks Surrey Advertiser Dorking Edition 13/01/2006 - the top of the front page runs with - Mays Garage forced to jack it all in, axing 16 jobs. The first couple of paragraphs sum up the entire the story.
Mays garage which has been a major presence in Dorking since the dawn of the motor age, is to close at the end of the month.
The 16 staff are being issued with redundancy notices and all business ran out of the South Street premises will cease from January 27.
It is real shame as this showroom was started by the Mays family in 1923. Apparently, the demise of the garage was put down to a downturn in the industry, an outdated service area, parking difficulties etc. Hopfully, another garage, car retailer/showroom can take over this site ASAP.
Post a Comment
<< Home