Christmas period in Dorking
Gala night seems an age away now, although it was a great night out, especially in the pubs. Being in Dorking over the Christmas, just passed, was great. It was better as the actual Christmas and New Year was spread over two weekends. Many people took the week off in-between and the pubs and restaurants were packed every night.
It was good to see also that on the main nights the pubs closed at a reasonable hour. I dreaded a late opening on Christmas Eve, where I might think it was a good idea to stay a while longer in the pub, thus ruining Christmas Day. Luckily most closed at midnight.
Of course, Publicans have a life too!


3 Comments:
Heard through the grapevine that at the Surrey Yeoman (Christmas Eve) a punter was beaten up by a couple of morons and had to be rushed to hospital with a broken jaw!!! Not to sure if that is true or not, as there was nothing in the Dorking / Surrey Advertiser. I must admit, I have been to the Yeoman a couple of times last month and sadly, the atmosphere had become more menacing. A lot of the people who once frequented the Malthouse are not heading towards the Yeoman instead. It was a huge shame to see so many hoodies, chavs with foul language, drinking their Stella.
The second sentence from the end should read - A lot of the people who once frequented the Malthouse are not (should be - now!) heading towards the Yeomen instead.
-- Apologies for the mistake --
It is a shame that the Surrey Yeoman has ended up like that.
I must say it was a much better pub, way back, when Rob Slade had it (before it changed to the Hogshead). It was well run with a good layout. The layout design which we see today is appalling, with a narrow corridor acting as the bar area and there is virtually no other confortable standing area.
I rarely go down that end of the town at weekends but sometime visit Arty P's in the week.
Post a Comment
<< Home