The Dorking Blog

News and Views from the market town of Dorking, Surrey.

Tuesday, October 04, 2005

The Dorking Pub Race

Everyone I mention this to doesn't remember it at all. When I was a kid I remember a pub race - even roads were closed for this event!

Basically each pub had a team which consisted of a person in a wheelbarrow and another person pushing.

The team had to visit each pub in Dorking and down a half pint then continue onto the next. The race started down at the car park which used to exist where the old TSB bank used to be (opposite Hairs and Graces hairdressers now). Anyway it was bizarre and looked like torture, the guys pushing looked knackered and the ones in the wheelbarrow were constantly throwing up over the side of the barrows throughout the race. Strange but true!

2 Comments:

At 10:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like a fantastic idea, name your date and i'l be there wheelbarrow in hand

 
At 10:38 PM, Blogger The Cockerel said...

I would be great for things like the wheelbarrow race to still take place. It is a shame that nowadays there seems to be far too much 'red tape' with regard to obtaining road closures etc. Shame the world is like this now.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home