Scotts Jewellers Burglary
I happened to be in Dorking today and I noticed the traffic queued through the town. In the High Street police were directing traffic through single lane as there had been a daylight robbery of Scotts Jewellers.
Police had taped off the pavement and I could see the front window of the shop had gone. Apparently the sledgehammer or similar instrument was still there. There were lots of police in attendance.
I hope no-one was hurt in this incident. It just goes to show that sleepy Dorking is always vulnerable to this style of attack, especially being so close to the M25.
I haven't seen anything reported about this yet on local websites so details are sketchy.


16 Comments:
Details can be found on the Dorking Ad website www.thisissurreytoday.co.uk.
Well done the Ad for a reasonably prompt reaction. I see from this week's paper they are (as rumoured)intending to close their office in Dorking and move the staff to Reigate - a huge pity given that the Surrey Ad has already moved out of the town.
Pepin
Fantastic comment made on the thisissurrey website:
A spokeswoman for Surrey Police said no members of staff were injured during the raid and there were no customers in the shop at the time.
A spokesperson for the people of Dorking said that no members of the police were even remotely interested in dealing with this violent incident but were as usual concentrating on waving their speed guns at innocent motorists (this week in Bunce Common Road in Leigh).
Mole Valley residents are being forced through their council tax bill to pay an extra 4.9% for the next year for these useless idiots who call themselves "police".
What a joke.
I like that!!
Why don't you have a link to the Dorking Ad website on this blog, when you have links to other news sites that don't even seem to cover Dorking?
Has anyone else noticed that Thistles the florist has gone? The shop is empty with a To Let sign in the window. It's such a shame, another local business gone.
Made my way over to The Pilgrim near Dorking West station for a spot of lunch and a pint or two with the girlfriend as the sun was shining. Ye gods....they are now charging £3 for ales (London Pride and Adnams), £3.10 for Old Thumper (ale) and £3.50 for Guinness and Stella. Ouch... apparently, the prices went up early this week and are due to go up again when there is another budget in early to mid April. I am afraid I won't be making my way over to that neck of the woods ever again as these prices are on par with the tourist traps/pubs of the West End!! Also if you planning to frequent this pub and are hoping to park in the vicinty of this pub, make sure you use the parking lot directly outside the pub. DO NOT even contemplate parking on the road directly outside, or you will be clamped!! The private road (Station Road) has car clamping in operation 7 days a week, 24 hours a day. So, if you are after a hefty fine after a ridiculously expensive pint, make your way to The Pilgrim - Dorking's most expensive and overrated pub!!
Cricketers Chris
Maybe that was the person who posted on this site a couple of weeks ago saying he was going to close soon?
Chris. We posted at the same time so the reference was to the previous comment about the florist. I went to Kent today and was charged £3.50 for timothy taylors landlord and sn spitfire.
Busmans holiday for you isn't it?
Dougie
Pubs in Dorking (and a large part of the rest of the South East) have for ages been charging crazy prices for their beer - even more expensive than Mayfair, Chelsea or Kensington for example.
I too went to the Pilgrim (before the price hike) and decided this was not an experience I would repeat.
Try Wetherspoons in Guildford or Leatherhead where the expensive beer is £1.79 and the cheaper less expensive such as Ruddles or Greene King is 0.99 pence...and to think that Wetherspoons wanted to open where the old Harley Davidson showroom was and our magnificent councillors turned their nose up at the opportunity.
Pepin
Working in Sutton for the entire month and whilst it is not the most pleasant place to be based, I have found a pub which is charging £1.99 for a pint of Guinness. It is not a St. Patrick Day's promotion and they are also charging £2.05 for a pint of Hobgoblin. The pub is very welcoming and the ladies behind the bar are very outgoing and sociable. Shame that the publicans in Dorking and the government continually want to rip us off, when times are very tough for the vast majority of the punters. By the way the pub I mentioned is not a Wetherspoon's or a theme pub!
Annoyed Anthony
Well Anthony it just goes to show that one pub not too far away can do it, I simply don't know what goes through the mind of some of our publicans in Dorking - but good luck to the pub in Sutton.
Come on all you Dorking publicans, give it a try and see if offering a bit of value for a change benefits you longer term; after all it's not obligatory to rip-off customers.
Pepin
The Surrey Ad website posted details of the robbery not long after the incident on Thursday where as there was nothing on the Dorking ad until Friday - not exactly what I'd call a prompt reaction!
I couldn't care less about when the Surrey Advertiser's website had the smash and grab story because they rarely cover anything topical to Dorking or even Mole Valley. If they do have anything in their paper it is the same in the Dorking Ad anyways...No wonder their office closed in West Street...Does anyone actually buy that paper??
Why didn't the Surrey Advertiser bother to come to Dorking and actually try and find out what happened? The coverage on their website was very poor. It read like the only people they spoke to were the police - I thought journalim involved speaking to more than one body...
Actually I read the story on the Dorking Ad website on Thursday. Didn't see anything on the Surrey Ad website but I find their site a bit hard to navigate. There just seems to be a lot of Epsom news under the Dorking section.
I don't expect Surrey Ad's Dorking office closure was down to how many papers they do or do not sell - more perhaps to do with the expensive business rates in the town and the recession in general - besides, the Dorking ad office is shutting too.
Post a Comment
<< Home