Bakehouse moving to Pump Corner
As many people are aware the Bakehouse is opening where Photo Optix used to be and closing the other shop in West Street.
I did wonder at the sign that stated "affordable clothing" or something of that nature. I think the Bakehouse has always been an attractive shop in Dorking even though 99% of residents probably don't shop there.
From my experience this shop is high end prices to match. I think it would look great occupying one of the crucial two shops on Pump Corner but it is still a shame that many of us won't feel the need or have the money to use it.


5 Comments:
Not a very profound thought upon my behalf but I'm relieved they have not simply taken the decision to quit Dorking.
Pepin
Agreed pepin. But I wonder how they have managed to relocate with such ease? They have been there for what? Two years? Unless both properties have the same landlord I would have thought it difficult to move next door. And much as I dont want to be the one to point out that they got their trading name from the fact that their premises used to be a bakery, I don't know how to finish this sentence without pointing out that the photooptix unit was never a bakehouse. Anyway good luck to them. If we assume that they could have baled from Dorking altogether, I'm glad they had the resolve to move premises and stick it out.
Dougie
Totally agree with the comments above, that we can be very thankful that the Bakehouse decided to stay put in Dorking. Whilst most businesses have relocated, gone into adminstration or have decided to close because of the lack of business, Bakehouse has remained loyal to the town of Dorking. Well done! I think they decided to move next door as the landlord was offering half rent for two years. I can only assume that they were on a short term lease when they were in West Street. Also noticed that Vodafone have finally opened. It will be very interesting to see how the competition fares ie. Phones4U and Carphone Warehouse. Finally, noticed that was a review of the new coffee shop, Flavour, in the Time for Tea section of the Dorking Advertiser. It was a positive piece but then I have never read a negative piece in the Time for Tea section. Also notice that the landlord is offering half rent for 2 years for the ex-Kodak Photo Express store on the High Street. This unit has been empty since July 2008. Hoping that it can be snapped up shortly, although I have heard that the interior of the shop needs a lot of work! Jo
The actual bakehouse was in Lincoln Road where I was born. My uncle was in charge there and allowed us to play games like hide-and-seek. I remember one hider being placed inside a flour sack alongside numerous others yet to be opened and we seekers ran straight past it obliviously. Goodness knows what the health and safety people would think of that today...
Loyns (not Lyons) had 3 shops, the one at Pump Corner was also a tea shop with tables/chairs and waitress. The second shop was close or next to Arnolds estate agency by Ansell Road and the third shop was more or less opposite Moores Road at the beginning of what I think is called New Parade that curves round into old London Road. When I was about 4 years old (1943) I was allowed to buy a penny bun from that shop as we were leaving the town. Meanwhile, my mother went into the chemist(Firths)next door Obviously, I wasn't listening and panicked when I couldn't see her after my purchase and crossed old London Road and ran all the way down to and actually crossed the
A24 then under the railway arch and home but she wasn't there... She saw me running in the distance and the thought of me crossing that 'dangerous' main road without looking left or right (it was about one THIRD of its present width..)horrified my mother who was very angry and threatened to put me back on reins..
I think Loyns at Pump Corner and Margareta Mills (ladies wear)next door must have been, and possibly still are, the two most prominent shops in the town especially when westbound traffic had to slow down to cross into West Street.
David N
As I haven't lived in Dorking since the early 1950s I may have misunderstood the posts about the 'Bakehouse' move apparantly from West Street to Pump Corner?
In West Street there used to be a bakery called Butchers and known as "Butchers the Bakers" by Dorking residents. We children just thought it was funny that a Mr Butcher decided to become a baker. But I dont think they baked their own and their bread/cakes may have been supplied by Loyns. Is THAT the shop from which the business has moved to Pump Corner?
David N
Post a Comment
<< Home