The Dorking Blog

News and Views from the market town of Dorking, Surrey.

Wednesday, February 11, 2009

A blast from the past!

I was surprised and interested to read a comment on here that the owners of the new coffee shop were the same owners which previously run Browns Cafe (this is not referring to the Browns chain of restautants which exists in many towns in the UK, imagine if we had one of those!).

I cannot for one minute believe that these are one and the same. The new one is smart looking and welcoming.

For new readers, Browns was one of the earlier topics on here which really made people share their opinions and made really interesting and amusing reading. It goes way back to February 2006. Click on the links below:-

Browns Article 1
Browns comments (at the lower end of the page)

11 Comments:

At 11:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, it is all coming back to me, Browns. It was an awful coffee shop/cafe - the staff were rude and abrupt, they had no concept of customer service, the food was absolutely shocking and very, very expensive. The two ladies had no personality and after they closed the place, they decided to run a junk shop in the same unit afterwards. Now, it is a Subway. Although, I am not the biggest fan of Subway - all their bread tastes the same, the quality of their meats is debateable and it can be a little on the pricey side, it is miles better than Browns. At least the staff at Subway smile and communicate with you and it is a place for the kids to go to. So, when I pop into Flavour at the weekend, I really hope that the two miserable ladies from Browns have not decided to open up another coffee/cafe business in Dorking. Jo

 
At 3:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Surely this is a joke! If the former owners of Browns are the new owners of Flavour, I will be the first person to call the Food Standards Agency. Browns had no concept of food hygiene and must have the most miserable people around for miles and miles.....

Newsworthy Neill

 
At 10:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know if anyone else has noticed but there is now a sign in the old photo shop at Pump Corner stating that an affordable womens clothing store will be opening there soon.

 
At 12:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That'll be Bakehouse.....the shop (allegedly) for old tarts :O) relocating around the corner. As for affordable, by Kensington standard maybe, by Dorking's, I don't think so. :O)

 
At 9:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I do beleive the two women at Flavour may well be the same happy individuals from Browns. It's just marvellous to know they are back and as happy as they always were.

 
At 9:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is it definately Bakehouse relocating to the old photo shop on Pump Corner? It certainly isnt affordable clothing if that is the case? Has anyone heard whether this is really the case or not?

 
At 10:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes it definately is Bakehouse.

 
At 8:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the confirmation re the shop on Pump Corner that it is Bakehouse relocating! Wonder what if anything will be going into their existing premises?

 
At 5:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Another empty unit in West Street. Seems to be no demand for any of the empty units in Dorking. LOL

 
At 5:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok, so Flavour is actually the new Browns? What happened to Browns? Did it go bust? If so, why on earth are they re-opening under a different name!? I haven't actually been in Flavour, has anyone? I assume it is very similar to Browns? I used to work for these very unhappy sisters about 10 years ago! The younger one is not so bad but the older one is very grumpy and they like to chose there customers. Absolutely stuck up their own bottoms and her son got caught shop lifting - very proper! Be interested to see what this new shop is like.

 
At 2:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have visted Flavour now, the first time for coffee, second time for a jacket potato. The decor is nice, very cozy inside. I ordered a cappuccino on my first visit, the staff are not very tentative and I have to say I didn't rate the coffee all that much. My Cappucino was too hot and not frothy. But cheap! However, when I went with my friend for lunch after having realised the prices were reasonable after my coffee visit. We both had Jacket potatoes and cold drinks and I have to say the Jacket potatoes were lovely! So ok the coffee isn't great but the food I was impressed by and such great prices! The customer service isn't of a very high standard but if you want a quick bite for lunch I would definitely reccommend Flavour.

Dorking Chick :0)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home