The Dorking Blog

News and Views from the market town of Dorking, Surrey.

Monday, January 12, 2009

Woolworths Unit, High Street

It still seems strange to be talking about Woolworths in the past tense, but there it is. The unit formerly occupied by Woolworths is now depressingly empty. I noticed that Iceland the frozen food retailer has agreed to purchase a substantial number of old Woolies stores. Reading the list Dorking was not one of them.

I know it has only been a few days but does anyone have any news on any developments on the potential purchase / let of this store?

19 Comments:

At 10:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was talking to a friend who is a retail property developer over Christmas, and asked if he was looking at any of the old Woolies sites.

He said one of the problems with Woolworths sites is that many have been around so long they are now 'off pitch' - the High Street has moved away from them. Looking at Dorking, most of the attractive shops and coffee bars (!) are further up the High Street, past even St Martin's Walk. The size of the old Woolworth's unit will require a big retailer to move in, and one of the things they're bound to look at is how attractive the pitch is. An off license and a Superdrug are hardly premium neighbours...

 
At 11:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rumours are still circulating about Wilkinsons and even Primark. I am afraid that there is already a Wilkinsons in Epsom and Horsham so, I guess Dorking might be out of the question. Primark would be a brilliant addition to Dorking as the nearest one's are in Sutton and Crawley. A major problem with this ex-Woolies unit is that it has no loading facilities around the back of the shop and the loading/unloading will have to take place on the narrow Mill Lane. Anyone know any other rumours about this above mentioned unit? Surely, it can't be a Poundland!! ~AP~

 
At 11:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It appears that this Blog has simply become a negative rant on the state of retailing in Dorking . There is a collective moan when any shops come empty whilst any new retail outlet is normally dammed before it opens and criticised further when it eventually opens. If a shop fails the someone either comments that it was no great loss to the town anyway or alternatively bemoans the loss of a shop which they have not patronised for many years and hence contributed to its demise.

The majority of bloggers admit they wont shop in Dorking even through they live in the town and there are frequent comments stating any retailer opening in Dorking will fail.

Have you all ever considered what message this sends out to potential retailers in Dorking - lets hope they don’t read the often misinformed claptrap on this blog prior to making a decision regarding to coming to the Town. Or maybe they should as without the support of the local population any retailer won’t succeed so surely they are better off locating in a town where the local population is less hostile.

 
At 12:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Disappointed, you've just said it all, in one brief piece you have managed to encapsulate nearly everything that underlies the town's major problem - its inability to recognise that something is seriously amiss.

Why do you think there are so many empty shops in Dorking (now more than 20% of all the shops)? If you are uncertain the answer is very simple, there are not enough people on the pavement willing to spend money in the town. Every empty shop is a disaster for the town and and an even bigger disaster for the people who have owned and worked in them.

If you believe that sticking your head in sand and pretending that all is well with the world will help the town - dream on.

Pepin

 
At 12:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pepin

I agree something is a miss and I would not suscribe to burying you head in the sand.

This blog blames Landlords, Retailers, MVBC, The Town centre manager, the Credit Crunch or the next fashionable scapegoat for the demise of the town but if you dont shop here surely you have some reponisibility.

Why so much opposition to Sainsburys proposals for St martins Walk. The reality is the majority of people will go to the biggest newest supermarket for as much as their weekly retail spend as possible and buy the rest on the internet.

They entertain and to coin you phase dream of a vibrant High Street with a mix of independent and national retailers but wont patronise the same and whinge when shops disappear - Woolworths is a great example of this. If this not burying your head in the sand then I dont what is

 
At 12:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

yet another masterful reply from the god like creature known as the one and only "pepin"

 
At 1:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

'Disappointed', as one of the 'all' of your last paragraph (first contribution) and one who has admitted that the inadequacies of our Sainsbury's drives me elsewhere, your 'reversed rant' ignores the need for answers. A lot of common sense is being talked on here to which authoritative answers are needed.

Yes, there is negative and ignorant ranting, inevitably on an open blog; misinformed claptrap' as you say which does nothing for the town and its reputation. Perhaps a lot of it might be defused if, for instance, facts were given about retail rents (are they realistic etc.), what really gives in St.M's walk and just how much power MVDC has in those areas. This is not the place, nor has the space, for the sort of answers needed but other means exist. We must agree that answers ARE needed.

In your second message, now seen, you recognise the key factor...lack of a real 'anchor' store (the benefits so readily seen in Reigate). The fact is that the smaller shops anywhere have a much harder job to attract custom without their presence. Woolworths had its own problems of course.

 
At 1:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ceebies

You spot on with your post. I agree that answers are required. I have a professional interest in town and can assist in giving hard facts and hopefully measured and sensible comment but where do you suggest is the right place for such a discussion.

 
At 2:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would also be interested in the hard facts that are being offered! Please let me know where and when...

 
At 3:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am sorry but I am incredibly disappointed in the last couple of emails blaming the residents' of Dorking for not shopping in the town. I live in Dorking and try really hard to do the bulk of my shopping in Dorking. Over the last couple of years, it has been increasingly difficult to do the bulk of your shopping in the town. With the economy in freefall, food, bills all going up, I am shopping around to find where the bargains are and where I can get more for my money. I love Dorking but the lack of an 'anchor' store, a very cramped and outdated Sainsbury's and no place to buy childrens' clothing, a CD/DVD and good quality ladies clothing at a reasonable price is a major problem! I would love a Primark to open up in the town and it would be a major boost to the local economy. 'Disappointed', I am sorry but the vast majority of the bloggers on this site love to live in Dorking but are incredibly worried about its' future. I am sure, the vast majority would prefer to shop in Dorking but, at the moment the range of shops is limited to just charity shops, banks, coffee shops and restaurants. Jo

 
At 4:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks Disappointed (though I am only a singular Ceebie - don't put myself about that much!)

Re the place for discussion. I had in mind MVDC's own publications for their angle. Also those Councillors who regularly produce leaflets might give their inside info in preference to wonky pavement issues. Surely the 'Dorking Ad' could commission informed comment rather than relying on reactionary 'Letters to the Editor' and somewhat vacuous editorials.

Personally 'Disapps' I'd be happy for direct exchange of ideas (even as a group) at a venue + time to suit. You probably know how to contact through previous 'CB' comment

 
At 6:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Woolworths Dorking / McDonalds

It does make sense for McDonalds to move to Dorking, especially on the site of the old Woolworths.

This will help other businesses in the town. Creating jobs and new life into the town.

The Royal borough of Windsor has a smart McDonalds outside, Windsor Castle. So Dorking can still be original unlike the ugly KFC on the corner, at the start of the high street.

Fingers crossed McDonalds will buy the old Woolworth store in Dorking.

 
At 8:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What would be wrong with a POUNDLAND at Woolworths? In my own south coast town we have Poundland situated in the most expensive part of the main street and it is absolutely PACKED with shoppers. Only yesterday, a dull wet afternoon I went in for a 'throwaway' umbrella at just after 5pm. It was so busy that had it not been for the urgent need I would not have queued - 5 cashiers could not take the money fast enough.

My parents told me that when Woolworth opened in the early1930s it changed Dorking into a proper town and everything was 3d 1.25p)and 6d (2.5p) and they sold virtualy everything under the sun.Since the value of 1940s money has now increased at least 40 fold I would say that Poundland price is spot on! I remember it. School dinners 2p a DAY,milk 1.5p a pint, postage stamp 1p. Woolworth became THE place to meet someone in town, right by all the bus stops and opposite the most well known hotel in Dorking. Does it matter that everything is a pound? I bet Poundland takes more money in an hour than some shops take in a day or may a week.... OK, Dorking needs some other shops as well but what is wrong with a near identical type of trader going into the Woolworth shell?

I think a Poundland would create what I think is called 'footfall' which means making the town look and feel successful.

Woolworth of recent years was a mere shadow of its heyday when I used to go there as a child to spend my pocket money on all kinds of 'junk' that I thought was treasure. Rows and rows of counters full of stuff just like today's Poundland.

So anybody mourning the demise of Woolworth should be begging Poundland to open up there or even somewhere else. Some of Woolworth 1950s china designs are now collectors' items....

Why be snobby about Poundland when it is a success story?

AND, there is absolutely no need for empty shops to look or become decrepit. There are fairly simple solutions which a proactive town centre manager should be applying - within days of the previous tenant vacating.

David N

 
At 11:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

One very positive factor emerges from all these comments and that is that an awful lot of people actually want Dorking to prosper as a retail centre.

But of course there is a huge gulf between aspirations and achievements and part of that gulf is the attitude of our local councillors. I am certain that if each councillor was asked for his or her views on the topic they would maintain their support for the town, but in recent years they have been relatively silent on the whole question: where are their initiatives to lend support to retailers? What happened to the Dorking Needs Action (DNA) report which I understand was partly funded by MVDC?

Perhaps of more topical interest why are they apparently so convinced that a minimum 20%, maximum 70%, hike in car parking charges for Dorking will have no effect upon shoppers habits, where is their evidence for this supposition?

It would be interesting if voters approached every single councillor on this issue and asked how they intended to vote and whether they had considered alternative means of raising money.

Many of those who have posted thoughtful comments on this blog suggesting it would be good if retailers such as Primark or MacDonalds could be persuaded to come to the town are, I fear, being a little optimistic Retailers of this stature are likely to look at what has been in Dorking and decide that if they've left there is not much future for them. They will certainly take into account how Sainsburys has been treated and may conclude it would be easier to open elsewhere.

Do please contact your councillors (they are all listed with their addresses on MVDC's website)and find out their voting intention on the question of car parking charges.

Pepin

 
At 11:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Esher (Elmbridge BC)has two hours free parking.
How clever. How supportive of the retailer that is. Why cannot we have that here? It is a real incentive to go and shop locally. Mole Valley shame on your lack of support and lack of iniative. Councillors I challenge you to do something about it.

 
At 10:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

A bit off-topic, I know, but I have had a Eureka moment and realised what is happening in this town! Businesses were not closing quickly enough in Dorking for the council, who want to raze Dorking to the ground so that they can build a new airport here. In a cunning move, they have installed traffic lights in Reigate road, so that people coming from the east have to queue for an hour (I kid you not!!) to get in to Dorking. I arrived at work an hour late, to get a rollicking for being an hour late from my boss who comes in on the A24.
This is incompetence on a major scale.
Pepin, PLEASE can we launch a coup on the council and have you installed as El Presidente? Anyone with me? Jo? Ceebeebies? Cockerel? AP?
A Very Annoyed Dorking Worker.

 
At 11:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Radio 5 Live were talking about ghost towns in the UK and somebody texted in and nominated Dorking around 6:40am this morning. The text said that Dorking was full of empty units, the council did not care and the council wanted to increase parking charges by up to 71% in April. Did anyone else hear it? It was an interesting debate and a lot of the blame was put on the landlords, high business rates set by the government, high parking charges, out of town shopping centres and the emergence of internet shopping. There was another debate/phone-in on 5 Live between 9am and 10am about the demise of the High Street. It is well worth listening to via their blogcast.

Newsworthy Neill

 
At 4:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bloody 5Live - also heard that Dorking was nominated as a "ghost town" by a texter earlier this morning. I was really annoyed with the texter as the word has finally got out that Dorking is dying and won't recover from this recession for a very, very long time...:( x

 
At 10:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think there is a point about this blog being negative about Dorking but sadly it's frustration which causes such negativity. Dorking is a lovely town that without a doubt is reasonably wealthy. If a retail unit opened that actually sold a product that is needed, such as mens clothes and shoes, they would have no problem staying afloat in this recession. I live in Dorking and will always wander in to town on a weekend and have a browse but as I don't wear womens clothes or need a shotgun, I end up leaving empty handed; obviously I get a coffee
(how can you not in the coffee shop capital of britain).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home