Pump Corner - Downright Dangerous!
I cannot count the number of times I have seen near misses now at the Pump Corner junction. Drivers travelling westbound down the High Street towards the Pump Corner junction do not look for cars coming out of North Street. Instead look at West Street, see it is clear so carry on.
Driving down there the other day I was aware of this problem but still found it difficult. It feels completely unnatural to almost look backwards to check the North Street entrance to the junction whilst moving. This problem only exists since the lights were installed as when they are green you now feel you are free to go forward.
Again, shame on Surrey County Council and their total incompetence in ruining a traffic junction which has worked for years. How many times do we have to bang on about this, I cannot believe they get away with it. IT DOES NOT WORK!


2 Comments:
Yes, the traffic lights at Pump Corner are a complete shambles - it is very dangerous for drivers and very frustrating for pedestrians on the length of time it takes for the 'green man'. Shame on you Surrey County Council on your ability to cock everything up in this town. I hate to think what they will have planned for 2009!! Jo
The whole Pump Corner scheme is a shambles. I'm unaware of any public consultation taking place in the 3-4 years prior to works starting. It was a solution without any problem, and has screwed traffic through Dorking right royally ever since.
If you have to add traffic lights to a junction that is an admission of defeat in the traffic engineering department, or as I suspect someone has a personal mission on the subject. As for pedestrian management there is none, witness all the OAP's taking a straight line over the island and experiencing the kerbing trip hazards.
The execution of the works was uncontrolled and uncoordinated. There was no attempt to mitigate noise or dust, local residents were not treated at all well. During operations there was no attempt to segregate pedestrians from the works. The term "Failure of Duty of Care" has to be applied to the whole issue.
Furthermore I'm not convinced the works are even complete, what's the piece of black ducting sticking out of the ground for?
Don't be vague, but don't blame general Haig, blame Surrey county Council's Roger Archer-Reeves and his poodle Jane Scarlet for this monumental male chicken-up.
Post a Comment
<< Home