The Dorking Blog

News and Views from the market town of Dorking, Surrey.

Monday, January 21, 2008

Chimes for Lunch - Re-opening

Chymes for Lunch (no relation to Chymes Hairdressing) has been totally refitted and is re-opening today.

The sandwich shop which occupies St Martins Walk and complements Fothergills coffee bar has come under increased competition lately with the opening of Costa Coffee and Starbucks. It does have the advantage in summer with the outside seating but suffers at other times as it has no proper indoor seating.

From literally nothing a few years ago, I think that Dorking is more than adequately catered for now with coffee shops and cafes.

I personally haven't gone to Chymes for absolutely ages. I find the sandwiches made up of far too much bread for my liking. The last one I tried the bacon sarnie which is expensive but tasted very sub standard, better to make it at home. I know it is out of town centre but The Jam Pot at the Triangle Stores, Ranmore Road leaves Chymes for dust and is much cheaper. (It is only open until 11.00am on Saturdays though).

13 Comments:

At 1:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't think the refurbishment of Chimes for Lunch is complete yet. There was a couple of guys in there yesterday painting around the door and the outside of the unit. It looks like it will have the same feel of Fothergills with the new brick work behind the counter.

I have always liked going to Chimes when the weather is nice and warm. Eating a sandwich and enjoying a coffee in the courtyard is lovely and the traffic noise is minimal. They offer a good variety of sandwiches, drinks and snacks and find them to be very competitively priced.

Yesterday afternoon, I went to Hasketts Tea Shop on South Street and I was bitterly disappointed. The sandwiches were very expensive and the staff spent most of their time gossiping and making derogatory comments about their ex-customers, neighbours etc. The food was very average. I ordered a club sandwich and a small tea and it almost cost me £10!!!! It pains me to say this, but I definitely won't go to Hasketts again, as there are far better cheaper alternatives in Dorking.

Noticed that Dolland & Aitchison, the opticians on the High Street is undergoing a refurb. It is the opticians near the alley for St. Martin's Church. It is due to be completed in early February. Also, the 'new' wine bar refurb on South Street is coming on very nicely. Although, it looks to be very much on the small side, I sincerely hope that it brings some life down to that end of South Street. I have heard that The Gossip Lounge might be re-opening up in February under a new name and new management. So, watch this space!!! By the way, does anyone have any idea, what might be opening up in the former Gallery 238 unit?? This unit is also undergoing a massive refurb at the moment.

DORKING Dan

 
At 1:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just stumbled upon this site, and am loving the gossip!

The gossip lounge was awful. No care or attention to detail. Principle is a good one - but lets not have the menus selotaped to the window! The interior needs smartening up, although I love the wall paper. The owner was clearly trying to make a quick profit, but customers weren't to be fooled.

Dorking could do with a pub that serves really good quality food. The nearest place is the Arkle Manor in Betchworth.

The old Pizza Piaza on South Street is up for lease to a restaurant. I had heard that it may become a fish restraunt. Anyone heard anything on this?

 
At 4:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hear that The Wotton Hatch has been taken over by the same chain as The Arkle Manor. To be honest, I find The Arkle Manor to be a really soulless place which serves overrated food. Try The Pilgrim (near Dorking West station) or The Kings Arms (on West St) for good pub grub!

 
At 5:28 PM, Blogger The Cockerel said...

Yes Dan you're right. Chimes still hasn't opened. Finishing touches still being done.

 
At 9:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dorking Town Centre Forum Planning Working Group

Notes below are from the meeting which was held on Monday 14th January 2008:-

Property matters

Vacant / On the market: 20 premises
*Associated Dental Practices, 305 High Street - lease still in place
*Oxfam Bookshop, 295-297 High Street - lease reverted back to landlord, Martin Brown representing
*Harley Davidson, 285-293 High Street - planning app for A1 A2 A3 + residential submitted - recently turned down by MVDC!
*Hairs & Graces, 242 High Street - some interest - Martin Brown representing
*Jane Elliott - Hurst Warne now representing
*Co-op, 236 High Street - no movement
*Surrey Gourmet, 61 High Street - various parties interested
*Nightingales, St Martins Walk (SMW) - no movement
*Baby Boom, SMW - gone into liquidation
*Studio RT, SMW - no movement
*Vandevi, SMW - no movement
*Simply Nails, SMW - no movement
*Rear corner unit, SMW - no movement
*Harmans, 19 West Street - closed for redevelopment, date set back to be ready this Spring
*Refectory Antiques, 38 West Street - closed due to retirement - Bray Estates now representing
*Human Nature, 12 South Street - Martin Brown representing
*Dorking Tyres, 80 South Street - Martin Brown representing
*Impress Promotions, 53 South Street - lease has reverted back to landlord
*Pizza Piazza, 77 South Street - strong interest, remedial work has commenced
*FW Mays, 105 South Street - national chain still very interested

Vacant but under offer or LET: 7 premises
*Gallery 238, 238 High Street - LET
*Jane Elliott, 246 High Street
*Age of Elegance, 155-157 High Street
*Woolwich, 108 High Street
*Halfords, 101-103 High Street - LET to FatFace
*West Cornwall Pasty Co., 54-56 High Street
*Swale Insurance, 43 South Street - Wine bar opening - LET currently being refurbished

Trading but on the market: 3 premises
*Royal Association for Deaf People, 316 High Street - LET
*Robert Barclays, 86 High Street
*Origin, 13 High Street - lease expired

Hope all this information is helpful.

DORKING Dan

 
At 1:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks again for all the information regarding the empty shops units in Dorking. Yes, I know that this has been mentioned numerous times on this blog, I find it really astonishing that years have passed and no progress has been made with the empty units in St. Martins Walk. If Baby Boom went into liquidation, why is their stock still in this unit? After a year and a bit, surely, the administrators would have seized the stock by now to pay off their debts?? And, how long will it be till there are revised plans for the Sainsbury's development at the rear of St. Martins Walk??

At least the whole fiasco regarding the ex-Puccino's has finally reached a conclusion. Whilst, I am not a big fan of Starbucks, it has encouraged the young mothers once again into town to socialise and spend some cash in Dorking. I am amazed that no-one has the courage to open up a clothes shop for young children in Dorking. Considering, there seems to be a real 'baby boom' in the town in the last couple of years. Getting your kids into the local primary schools is a real nightmare and is set to continue for quite a few years to come.

Also, thought I would give my thoughts and recommend some very good restaurants in Dorking. Excellent restaurants in Dorking include Sang Thai on the High Street, Viva and The Fountain Garden, both can be found on West Street. These restaurants offer excellent service, great food at very reasonable prices. By the way, has anyone been to the two new additions to the restaurant scene in Dorking - Chifan (the Chinese next to Dorking Halls) and The Gurkha Kitchen (next to The Bali)???? Read the restaurant review in last weeks' Dorking Ad and it gave a very good review of The Gurkha.

As for places to eat for lunch, I really Harleys on South Street. Great breakfasts and excellent value for money. Other excellent places are The Fig Tree, which is at the rear of Christique Antique Shop in West Street and Fothergills, in St. Martins Walk. These establishments are very laid back, service is second to none and most importantly, the food is always fresh cooked. I have to agree with Dan's observations of Hasketts, the staff are very rude, the food and snacks are very overpriced and the portions are very small. A real shame, as the owner is 100% to blame for the downturn in her trade!! ~AP~

 
At 1:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chifan is excellent. Really interesting menu. The service is the best in Dorking, and food fabulous! I certainly rate it the best restaurant in Dorking!

 
At 9:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't currently live in Dorking but am hoping to move there this year.

This blog is a great way to keep up with what's going on in the town. However, as an outsider it is difficult to grasp the dynamics of the town no matter how many times you visit it. I wonder if anyone could offer me an insight on what it is like to live in Dorking, are there any areas to avoid,and in particular, info on local primary schools - are the schools heavily oversubscribed?

Hope it is OK for me to post such a request on this blog.

 
At 4:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Noticed this article in this weeks Advertiser - January 24, 2008

++Big plans for Little Chef site++

A large restaurant chain could be about to come to Dorking at the site formerly occupied by the Little Chef.
Frankie and Bennys has applied to the licencing authority for a premises licence for what was formerly the Little Chef on the A25 Reigate Road, Dorking.
The 1950s style New York Italian restaurant and bar chain, which has restaurants all over the country, has proposed the following licensable activities:
The retail sale and supply of late night refreshment between 10am and midnight Monday to Sunday and between 10am on New Year's Eve until midnight on New Year's Day.
Dorking town manager Sandra Grant has welcomed the possible arrival of the popular chain.
She said:"I think it is a good thing that they are coming to the area. It has been on the cards for a while and I think it will revitalise the area.
"They have a good reputation and I think it will be great for visitors to the Travel Lodge and to people in the town."

What do the other bloggers think??? I would interested in your positive or negative comments about the proposed Frankie and Bennys restaurant, who might be making their way into the outskirts of Dorking.

Leatherhead Lip

 
At 12:28 AM, Blogger The Cockerel said...

To the recent request on what it is like to live in Dorking. I will post something on here in the very near future on the best and worst of the town. And, of course, what it is like to live here.

Thanks for your interest.

 
At 8:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lots of talking points and comments in this section. To the Cockerel, would it be possible to split some of the posts - ie. create separate posts for a) the good, bad and indifferent restaurants & cafes in Dorking b)what it is like to live in Dorking - with more information provided by the loyal bloggers on the schools, recreational facilities etc. and c) the current situation with the shops in our town centre, as well as, the proposed Frankie and Bennys???

Anyway, just wanted to let southstreetresident know, that I went to Chifan (tne new Chinese restaurant next to the Dorking Halls) last night. Thanks for the recommendation. The food was amazing, the service was prompt and friendly and the restaurant was full of atmosphere. What a transformation! When it used to be the High Island, it was dark and dingy restaurant which offered an 'all you can eat buffet', 7 days a week! The new management of Chifan have done themselves proud, it is spotless, has a very varied menu and is very good value for money. A great deal of money has been on renovating this restaurant and it really shows. It really deserves an 'A' for effort, service, great staff and most importantly, the food will also blow you away, as well.

Originally, after a few drinks at The Surrey Yeoman, we decided to go to The Gurkha Kitchen. Unfortunately, the restaurant was completely booked out last night. So, after reading the blog, I suggested to my mates that we try Chifan. Most of my mates had horrific flashbacks to the previous Chinese restaurant. Anyway, we took a vote and eventually decided to go to Chifan. We all had a great time. It is a really authentic Chinese restaurant and from your table, you can see into the spotless interior of the kitchen. So, to all the other bloggers out there, if you are craving a Chinese, make sure that Chifan, is your first port of call!

DORKING Dan

 
At 5:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice one Dorking Dan!! Great taste you have!

To the person wanting a recommendation about Dorking generally - I think you'll find it's a great place to live. Most Dorkings are very proud of where they live. It is a beautiful area with lots of amenities. Ignore the mindless stabbing - that's a one off....!

 
At 12:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

To the person who wanted to know what Dorking is like and whether they should move here. I did it at the end of last November. God only knows why I left it so long, it's a wonderful place. I only moved from 30 minutes up the train line but it's a world away from where I used to live. From almost anywhere you are in Dorking you can see the beautiful Surrey Hills, the locals are extremely friendly (we were quite phased when people kept coming up to us out of the blue to talk about our baby when we were house-hunting), the High St is lovely and almost unique. Just one word of warning, the houses right in the centre of the town have really small gardens by and large. Last weekend we took our two year old daughter up to the top of Box Hill to run around. The view was spectacular, she was having so much fun. My girlfriend got all corny, turning to me and saying "we live here!" as though it were some kind of impossible dream. My advice for anyone thinking of moving down here is don't, I want it all for myself! Nah, as Nike would say, just do it! You really really really really won't regret it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home