The Dorking Blog

News and Views from the market town of Dorking, Surrey.

Thursday, June 29, 2006

Harley Davidson Garage Closing

Most visitors here will probably know that the Harley Davidson Garage is closing.

Loads of people love this shop being there, even if they don't own motorbikes. They just like its presence.

Personally I have thought it was always something that wasn't necessary in a High Street location. It is something that would do just as well in the middle of nowhere. Does it really bring trade into the town?

I remember that Wetherspoons once applied for planning permission to open a pub on that site and it was turned down twice by Mole Valley District Council. I am not the biggest fan of Wetherspoons, although they are probably one of the best chains, but it would have gone a long way to breaking the high pub prices in Dorking. I was amazed when Harley Davidson just walked in.

Anyway the rumour now is that residential accommodation will be built on the site. We will always want more residential property but as usual it will probably be overpriced and most of it will eventually be buy-to-let.

3 Comments:

At 8:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think it is a real shame that owners of Harley Davidson have decided to shut the doors on its Dorking operation. Yes...it did bring business to Dorking town centre. Sadly, a lot of the cafes, fast food outlets (ie. Wimpy) did not open up on a Sunday to welcome the Harley Davidson brigade.

Like you, I am not a biker but, I enjoyed walking around the shop, looking at the huge bikes with huge price tags, looking at the t-shirts, leather jackets and other novelty items. I really do think that this side of the town is going to struggle considerably without the presence of the Harley Davidson Garage/shop. Think of all of the people it employed for starters. It is also a real shame that the Dorking town centre manager / co-ordinator, did not feel it was worthwhile commenting on the imminent closure in the local rag (Dorking Ad).

There are more rumours I am afraid, that further shops are going to close in St. Martins Walk -- a combination of high rents, service charges and NOT making ends meet! On a positive note, the former Shubee and Brown's units are under offer. Hopefully, there can be a quick turnaround on these units. Unfortunately, the former Puccino's unit is back on the market yet again!!

 
At 2:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

GOOD RIDDENCE TO HARLEY DAVIDSON! THE ONLY BUSINESS THEY BROUGHT TO DORKING, WAS THEIR LOUD BIKES AND TRAFFIC FUMES. A WETHERSPOON OR A SIMILAR SIZE CHAIN PUB ON THIS SITE WOULD SHAKE THINGS UP IN BORING DORKING. I AM SICK AND TIRED OF THE QUAINT OLDEY WORLDY PUBS AND A CHAIN PUB WOULD BRING DOWN THE PRICES OF LAGER, ALCOPOPS ETC. AND BRING BACK SOME MUCH NEEDED ATMOSPHERE TO A TERRIBLY OLD FASHIONED, 19TH CENTURY, DULL, NON-DESCRIPT, CRAP TOWN....AS FOR THE SAINSBURYS SUPERSTORE...BRING IT ON! ST. MARTINS WALK IS A PLANNING DISASTER AND SAINSBURY'S WOULD BRING MORE PEOPLE INTO THE TOWN. I AM SICK AND TIRED OF BEING RIPPED OFF BY THE INDEPENDENT SHOPS. WE ALSO NEED A STARBUCKS, TESCO EXPRESS, A MCDONALDS AND A NIGHTCLUB TO BRING THE YOUNG PEOPLE INTO DORKING, RATHER THAN ESCAPING IT EVERY WEEKEND...

 
At 9:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

According to Christie's website (www.christie.com) -- the former Puccino's unit is under offer yet again. Hopefully, the landlords of this property will back down off their high horse and get it let ASAP. This unit is getting increasingly rundown and the longer it lies empty the worse it becomes...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home