The Dorking Blog

News and Views from the market town of Dorking, Surrey.

Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Late night drinking in Dorking and the UK

It has been reported in the Dorking Advertiser that most pubs in the town have applied for extended hours under the new licensing laws, due to come into effect in November. I support this totally and it really made me angry when I watched the news today and it was reported that Senior Judges had said, amongst other things, that it would increase binge drinking and violence in Britain - or words to that effect. I totally refute this and know that the main cause of binge drinking is the 'power drinking' which stems from the limited time that people are allowed to drink in this country.

Under the 24 hour law most pubs will only open an extra hour or so which would have no effect on society. Anyway, isn't it time they extended Sunday nights to 11.00. You drink until 11.00 on a Monday night but not on a Sunday! Is there any difference?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home