The Dorking Blog

News and Views from the market town of Dorking, Surrey.

Monday, August 08, 2005

Dorking Pub Reviews 08/08/05

A review of Dorking Pubs which I will update as often as I can:-

The Surrey Yeoman (formerly Hogshead) - 5 - Terrible design but young, lively crowd and much better since it reverted back to the Surrey Yeoman name.
The White Hart - 7 - Not as bad as everyone seems to suggest. Is just full of 'generally mature' regulars who like their drink. Great draught beer!
Arty P's - 9 - Really nice modern pub with a fantastic garden, bit on the expensive side though.
The Malthouse - 4 - Serves a purpose by keeping all the underage riff-raff in one place. It is just sooo naff! Good if you like pool though as there are loads of tables. Apparently according to the Dorking Advertiser it has just been bought by Sainsbury's as a first step to aquiring land and building a new supermarket.
The Bulls Head - 4 Quiet some nights, fairly lively others. A bit unpredictable sometimes packed, other times dead. No garden which is a downside, just a couple of benches outside.
The Spotted Dog - 6 - Much better than its history suggests, friendly staff, good service. Great large garden, if a little tacky.
The Cricketers - 7 - Fantastic Georgian walled garden. Small narrow pub though which is much better if you have a seat as it is quite narrow.
The Old House at Home - 7 - Well run modern pub and a massive improvement since the new landlord took over. Well decorated and designed. Shame the hardcore drinkers from the Bull Head followed though. Very Clicky, but excellent service.
The Star - 8 - Small but the staff making the most of this pub with excellent themed nights and alternative entertainment. Sometimes there is a great atmosphere in here.
The Kings Arms - 9 - Best on a Sunday evening where the live music nights are legendary, usually really busy. Other nights it can be a bit unpredictable and quiet, always great early evening though. Two gardens is a real plus point and the pub has real character which really feels 15th Century - which it is! Overall consistently good.
The Pilgrim - 9 - One of Dorkings best pubs, hidden away at the foot of Ranmore. Great food, fantastic garden. Really good pub for the odd drink in the week.
The Lincoln Arms - 1 - Hotel/Bar - mainly commuters waiting for a train. Dodgy.

3 Comments:

At 2:50 PM, Blogger alanfrombrockham said...

Hey, great site. I live in Brockham and have just started a blog of beers drunk in local pubs. http://tbsbg.blogspot.com Plus I've done a Dorking pub guide similar to your own. Keep up the good work!

 
At 10:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cheers for your comments, yes this is something that I have just started. When I get a mo I will post an article about your blog.

 
At 11:52 PM, Blogger The Cockerel said...

Excellent! There you have it - two honest and informed reviews of the pubs in Dorking.

I love Andy's review of the Malthouse - spot on. Also I couldn't agree more about the Kings Arms toilets, they are also very cramped and in the summer people from the pub garden can see you, through the frosted windows, taking a leak !

 

Post a Comment

<< Home