The Old House - Worst example of service
If any readers visit the Old House on Saturday night they are likely to experience some of the worst bar service they are ever likely to get.
I am not talking about the staff in general here but just one guy (no name yet...) who normally is working on a Saturday night. He basically has no bar skill whatsoever, just looks at customers and shouts "who's next!". Even if you have been standing there for ages and that he has seen you, the response is the same. What are we supposed to do? Are we supposed to fight it out amongst ourselves for service? Basically whoever shouts loudest is served.
Maybe he is too ignorant to bother serving those whom have stood at the bar for half an hour. On three occasions when I was eventually served he got my change and even couldn't remember who to give it to, I even had to shout for that. However he isn't stupid in a cute way, he knows exactly what he is doing. It is more laziness than stupidity.
As a one off this sort of thing wouldn't bother me as much but this happens literally every week. I am so suprised that Simon (the owner) hasn't picked him up on this.
I feel strongly about this so decided to post this on here.
This post amended on 06/06/08


5 Comments:
The service has never been that great in The Old House. The staff seem to be uninterested, have not got a clue who to serve next and they time and time again serve their friends first and ignore the punters who have been waiting since the beginning of time for a pint or two. Talking about service, The Star always shines in this department. You are always greeted by a smile and are served very promptly at this pub. Also The Kings Arms seems to have improved recently, as the staff are no longer surly and they actually smile and greet you before you order a drink. Simon Hardcastle, the landlord at The Old House certainly needs to teach his staff some basic bar skills and some manners. It also looks like The Bulls Head will close late next week. Mo is on his way and they are advertising on the front door and window, to see if anyone in their right mind, would be interested in running this pub. It also looks like the staff from The Bulls Head will be making their way over to The Old House.
I wonder if Simon is aware of the problem - maybe you should mention it to him before launching some kind of slur campaign against this individual on here and "other Internet sites".
In fairness, the Old House has a big bar - not only is it long, it goes round a corner! Add to that the fact that it is generally 2-deep in punters. I imagine it's quite a daunting sight to try and find your next customer from a sea of faces, all simultaneously trying to get your attention.
"Hmm, that girl's face is familiar, but didn't I serve her like 20 minutes ago, or was it that she caught my attention like 30 seconds ago?"
I imagine it's is a tough job serving in a pub like the Old House, and I think that branding this person "thick" is perhaps a little unfair.
Just my 2p...
not to mention potentially libellous??
Ok jj point taken.
I must have been having an off day so maybe what I said was a little too strong. I have amended the post to be a little more constructive.
Yes the pub does sometimes get very busy and at those times I am prepared to wait. But when it comes round to my turn to be served I do not think that it is unreasonable not to expect to be totally ignored at the bar - for no reason.
As I said in my post - I have no problem with the other staff that work in the Old House.
Bull's Head closing this week. Mo is off to a sunnier destination. No buyers, no interest, therefore Bulls Head will be closed for forseeable future. It may not re-open up anymore as Fullers are keen to get rid of it in their portfolio of pubs. Any takers? Jo
Post a Comment
<< Home