Welcome Fat Face
Seeing Fat Face open on the High Street confirms my view that there are many chain stores that are welcome in Dorking.Many people complain that we need more independent shops, but many of these don't work and close down after just a few months trading. All we are left with then is yet more charity shops, banks and estate agents.
Fat Face, like many other chains, has attractive shops that many people actually use. They bring some vibrance to our town and attract other investment.
Hopefully this is a turning point for Dorking.


9 Comments:
I think it's great that Fat Face have opened on the High Street. They are a good quality shop and appeal to all ages - I'm in my 30s and I shop there, as does my teenage daughter and my father who is in his late 60s! The shop looks great and I was told that they doubled their target on their opening day so good luck to them. Hopefully they will be followed by other quality retailers, both independent and chains (though not, I hope, BHS or Wetherspoons as a previous comment suggested!). A great example of a high street that manages both is Lewes in Sussex where they have a really good mix of shops in a high street that is not that different to Dorking - people are so negative on this blog a lot of the time, if they support the shops that we do still have then there is no reason why Dorking cannot flourish like other towns.
So, Fat Face has opened and everyone is heralding it as the saviour of the High Street. What a joke. Fat Face will do well for a couple of weeks, it will then struggle, then it will numerous sales and eventually, it will close. People in Dorking generally go into town, to take some money out, have a coffee or two and bugger off to better towns in the area. Fat Face will do nothing for the local economy and it is hardly going to be the saviour of Dorking. Every town in the south east has a Fat Face including Haslemere. What we need a better quality clothing shop rather than another teenie bopper clothing shop.
To the commenter above - whoever said that Fat Face would be the saviour of Dorking ? And what on earth makes you think it is a 'teeny bopper' shop? Why are people so negative - surely new shops are a good thing? Perhaps people like you should 'bugger off to better towns' if you can't be bothered to support your own.
Went into Fat Face earlier this morning and was mightly impressed with the layout of the store, the clothes on offer, the staff and the facade outside. It is about time that Dorking had an ultra trendy clothing shop which caters for men, women and children. Spoke to the manager and they have currently exceeded all their sales expectations. Even at 9:45am, there must have been at least ten people in the shop and half of those were in the queue to buy some clothing, shoes etc. It just shows that Fat Face who took a very brave decision to open up in Dorking might do very well indeed in the town.
I was a little downheartened to hear that the Cricketers' lease is up for sale once again. I love this pub, as it attracts a very nice and diverse following. The ales are all top notch and it is one of the very few pubs which is not blighted by SKY or SETANTA Sports. Hopefully, a new owner/landlord can be found very promptly. As for the Bulls Head, this pub turned from a well run public house to a pub that somewhat resembled a nightclub / a underage drinking haunt. Again, I am hoping that a landlord can be found to turn this pub back around into a respectable drinking establishment. It would be nice if the landlord would know something about his ales, as the last time I went in there, all the ales were off! As for the Spotted Dog, it seems the new owners have given this pub, a new lease of life. It has been painted, has new signage and the interior seems to be more spacious and welcoming. The new owners have also put in a planning application to put some decking in the beer garden. Nice to see that the Spotted Dog is back to its very best.
Leatherhead Lip
Nice to hear that a clothing retailer finally seems to be doing very well in Dorking. It certainly bucks the trend in the High Street. Hoping that the initial success of Fat Face can encourage another good quality retailers into Dorking. How about a Phase Eight, Wallis, River Island? Maybe I am pushing the boat out a little too much? We should be thankful that the management of Fat Face has opened up a store in Dorking, as the town has not had much success over the years in trying to snare a big name clothing retailer. I think the last one was probably Etam's! ~AP~
What a great shop - just what Dorking has been crying out for. It is trendy, has a great selection of clothes and is competitively priced. Well done Fat Face for opening in Dorking. The staff are delightful and the clothes are great. It is also a nicely laid out store and deserves to be in the centre of the High Street.
Tim Jefferies:))
I love fat face. The only trouble with having it in dorking is that Im spending way too much money !!!
Dorking chick
PS. I heard a rumour that top shop was coming to Dorking. Is there any truth in this?
Don't think that Top Shop would be interested in the likes of Dorking. Top Shop is only interested in the likes of Guildford, Kingston, Croydon and Sutton. Dorking does not have a big enough population full stop. I guess, Dorking is lucky to have a Fat Face but I think it will be the last of the fashionable, young clothing shops to hit Dorking for the forseeable future.
I heard a rumour today Curries is closing to become another coffee shop, someone I know heard the store manager talking to a woman that he was closing in a few weeks and Coffee Zone would be going in to his shop! How many coffee shops does Dorking need, Costa, Starbucks, Pandoras, Chimes, Fothergils, Cafe Cream, Hasketts, Dorking Halls and now this one, are we all coffee addicts here!
Post a Comment
<< Home