The Cricketers Pub - Being run down?

I can't believe this! Three weeks ago I went into the Cricketers in South Street only to be told that they had run out of lager on tap. This is forgivable as it only takes someone to cock up the order for this to happen. Anyway, I went in last weekend and still no lager on tap but even worse there were no bottles either! Quite early on in the evening we left the pub and there was literally one person in it - on a Saturday night.
Something is seriously wrong here. I believe that the pub is now being run by fairly new management but what is going on? Is it being run down on purpose only to sell to property developers who have bought the Pizza Piazza building next door?
Surely one of our pubs is not disappearing too. Dorking is becoming a joke these days. It really seems as if it is the only town in which things happen like this.


1 Comments:
I still like The Cricketers. There beer (London Pride, ESB, HSB etc.) is always and still is top notch. However, since the new management took over, their prices are almost on par with some of the more expensive establishments in Dorking (The Pilgrim, The Old House, The Bulls Head and Arty P's). The Cricketers is sadly lacking in atmosphere at the moment. I went in there last week and had to leave as it somewhat resembled a cigar bar. Three men were sitting up at the bar puffing on their huge Cuban cigars. It was enough to put me off and I made a hasty exit.
I feel the price rises, lack of atmosphere and being out of stock (on more than one occasion) of lager, has probably moved the regulars onto another local establishment. What a shame as this pub always had a welcoming atmosphere. I had fond memories of Pete and Michelle who ran this pub in the late 1990's, who ran this pub impeccibly. Sadly, it does look at present, that it is being run into the ground. Hopefully, this will be a temporary blip and normal service will be resumed very soon.
Post a Comment
<< Home