Dorking Gala Night
The Gala Night in Dorking was good as always. There didn't seem to be so many vans selling food or attractions like roundabouts etc. In fact I don't think there were any amusements for children. Me and my friends went into a couple of shops and the atmosphere was great.
It was packed but I felt that the whole street was swarming with kids - much more than in previous years, this was especially noticable in St Martins Walk. There were literally loads of them. I must point out that I am not against children having a good time but I felt that it was a bit overwhelming. I thought it was just me but a couple of other people then said the same thing. I suppose this sort of thing can't be helped.
I popped out to the Kings Arms later (which was nice) then Arty P's, which was also good. Initially when I turned up I thought that the atmosphere was a little messy but as I settled in I listened to the 70's music and realised it wasn't such a bad place afterall.
A good night!


2 Comments:
I really enjoyed last night most of the shops were really buzzing which was good to see. Dorking on Gala night has never been a let down to me and last night was no exception. I take your point about the kids there was loads of them about but they were all being well behaved. Long may gala night go on!
Overheard, it was not as good as previous years. The weather was a major factor as the entertainment was severely limited and the rides which are usually in front of The White Horse were a no-no!! Still the crowds were healthy in number and it was very encouraging that the vast majority of the shops were open and were very welcoming and generous with their food and drink.
The only downside was the sheer amount of kids present. Like The Cockerel, I am not anti-kids but, they were congregating in huge groups, blocking pavements thus preventing elderly people and young families from getting on by. Some of the kids also had the attitude that this was their event and the night did not belong to anyone else. Anyway, I hope that it past off peacefully afterwards. As there was throngs of youngsters outside KFC, the kebab shop and Subway just milling around at 10pm looking really bored and in dire need of a bit of excitement.
Post a Comment
<< Home