Thistles - Work starting
It was surprising to see that work was starting at the unit that was Thistles the flower shop.
As most of us know Thistles promptly closed recently, today I noticed that the the sign above the shop has been painted orange.
Anyone have any news on what might be moving in? Looking at the bright paintwork it would I would hope that it might be something a little different to some of the other establishments on the eastern end of the High Street.
Years ago there was more life down that end of town, we had a video rental shop - anyone remember VideoSave in the 80's? We also had a wine bar (Applejacks, Arthurs then R4's) in the 90's. The Khyber Pass curry house. Although I accept that there are still quite a few quality restaurants.
Hopefully this might be something interesting.


89 Comments:
It's going to be Blooms - a flower shop of that name in Bookham is branching out.
Yes, Blooms is supposed to be opening today. According to their website - they look very professional and already have a quality florist in Bookham. Best of luck and I hope that the new business thrives in Dorking.
Anthony
The traffics flowing nicely around South street, Vincent lane and from Westcott, because all the lights are out. I bet it doen's take Surrey County Highways long to find the 'fault' and put Dorking back into the usual situation of unncessary traffic jams.!
7.30pm (weds) and if i am not mistaken Bikehut looks to be changing into ...may be a Halfords ???
Certainly is - a sign is up on the front of the shop this morning proclaiming 'Halfords Metro'...
Good news if it really is going to be a Halfords which is at least a bit more likely to draw people into the town - in any case Dorking already had three excellent bike retailers.
On another note, may I ask a question? How many users of this site knew there was going to be a "forum" meeting for locals at which areas of district wide importance and issues of local concern would be discussed. I ask this because the Dorking Advertiser reports this week it was attended by just three people turned-up. I did not know it was taking place, have I been asleep?
Pepin
Not me, but I must admit to not reading the papers - including the local ones.
Dougie
Thanks Dougie, jdging by the reaction (or lack of it) nobody knew about it - or they're not reading the blog this weekend.
Pepin
I do get 'The Ad',Pepin, but hadn't picked up on the meeting from any source. Mind you, they got more than I did when trying to organise a meeting of us lot on here!
Thanks Ceebie. Perhaps the people of Dorking really don't care and possibly we have exactly the bunch of councillors we deserve.
Pepin
If anyone studied closely,the road work on the A24 they would realise that the cones have been used to divert the traffic, are very ineffeciently layed out. It does not make sense to start squeezing the traffic outside the Friends Provident building. This should be done much later in order to let some of the traffic filter off down Ashcombe Road. Also down Pixham Lane. There are definately too many cones and too much of the road has been taken away from the motorist. The tailbacks are accordingly much longer than necessary.(you may well have seen further inepptitude when they initailly decided to make all traffic coming out of the station HAVE to turn left up to the roundabout when it was perfectly reasonable for it to cross over right to escape the nightmare. What is clear from this is that it does not inspire confidence in this bunch of muppets..and Surrey County Highways planning department. How much longer will it drag on for??
What you can be sure of is that this could have (and SHOULD HAVE been done with the inconvenience of the motorist in mind)been done in half the time. They should be working 7 days a week and 12 hours a day to get such a 'major' job done. Instead there was a '9-5 attitude' with stops for tea and biscuits every 5 mins...oooh and golly gosh dont forget that snow we had in feb too.. no work there. I personally despise them and their working practises. To summarise.. badly thaught out and maximum inconvenience.
And before long there will be another project for just as long, and just as well thaught out. Well done Highways you get 1st prize for nightmare that you have made on the A24.
I fully support the views above on the ongoing saga of the roadworks that are currently taking place on the A24 by the train station. The gridlock is hideous most evenings and the traffic often tails back to the Burford Bridge roundabout and beyond. I often walk by the site with my children and am staggered how many breaks these guys take on a daily basis. They must be the laziest incompetent contractors I have seen which are employed by Surrey County Council. To make matters worse, the completion date for these works has gone very, very quiet! Over to you, Surrey County Council....Jo
PS - I have never heard of these forums for Dorking until I read about them in the Dorking Advertiser. Do they really exist?
With Halfords Metro closed on a Wednesday..it really goes to show just how little business there is in this town for retailers. Sad. I am sure it was not like that in the past.
Well I am getting more and more annoyed with Mole Valley District Council - first my council tax bill for this year is outrageous, parking charges have gone up substantially with an evening charge of £1 for Dorking only, the town is dying, looks rundown, no hanging baskets, there is no police on patrol in the evenings, crime is skyrocketing, inconsiderate parking and now the final straw, is the state of the streets as they are covered in gum and litter. Spoke to a friendly gentleman this morning at the council and apparently the minor streets are only cleaned once every ten weeks!! The parks, green spaces (which include Cotmandene, the Nower etc.) no longer have litter picked at all over the weekends! This is an absolute disgrace as every weekend there are bottles and cans of booze, fag packets, fast food rubbish scarring the landscape. The weekend before last in the park (Saturday morning) the bins were overflowing at 9am. Later in the evening, the park was covered in rubbish. There must have been at least ten bottles in the pond and the fast food wrappers were disgarded literally everywhere. This was not the weekend when the Bensons Fair came to town. Cotmandene has had rubbish scattered all around the place all week and the Council (excuse the pun) do not give a toss!! He told to speak to my councillor or write to Dave Parr at Environmental Services. I suggest that we all do this and let the Advertiser what we think of this very sad situation.
Very, very annoyed Anthony
M8, if you are so upset a bit of paper and a few cans flying around the park and the streets why dont u pick it up and stop complaning. The main reason why i drop a bit in the streets is to the guy who has a job w/ the council in a job. The same goes with mickeyd's after i scoff my big mac, fries, apple pie and large drink i leave it behind so the mickyd's worker has somefink to do. So M8 what else is there to do in dorking in the evening apart from drinking diamond white, tequilla, a bit of vodka and smoke a spliff in the park. The town is full of pple like you who compain about the youth of today and the surrey police treat all youngsters like crimnals. why was there too police cars outside Costa yesterday stirring it all up.
greg from goodwynz
is that last comment a piss take?
It very easy to criticise the council but they are very good at dealing with abandoned cars, fly tipping and graffiti. I wish the council and the police could tackle the scourge of spitting, chewing gum, litter and anti-social behaviour head on. I was very disappointed to read Anthony's post that the council have decided that keeping the open green spaces clear of litter at the weekend is not a priority. A few weeks ago, my children were playing in the playground at the Meadowbank and there were broken bottles littered everywhere. Talk about a health and safety issue, imagine the lawsuits if a child cut themselves on shards of glass which are regularly on the tarmac at the weekends. I was appalled that the glass remained there for almost five days, as I reported it, and they promised that it would be dealt with promptly. If the Advertiser succeeds in overturning the ludicrous evening parking charges, maybe it should turn it attention to the council's neglect of our beautiful green open spaces like the Meadowbank, Cotmandene, the Nower, Glory Wood etc. Jo
Last night our window box was vandalised- fortunately not broken as we have a matching pair- but thrown into the road, plants broken etc. It is not the first time- but bizarrely my husband and I found ourselves almost being pleased that it hadnt happened more often in the 9 years we have lived in our house! How absurd is that? We shouldn't expect these things to happen and we certainly shouldnt let them go, but who do you call? We have had car wing mirrors smashed off, car number plate smashed off, our car bonnet keyed and our window boxes vandalised. We live in Rothes Road. I never really know who to call about such petty criminal damage- though our car cost us a fair bit to sort out. It really winds me up that SOME people are just out to cause trouble and there is nothing we can do about it. Today I saw 2 young men spit in the street (disgusting) and one young Mum throw rubbish blatantly into the road at a busstop- I almost said something and then stopped myself because you just dont know who you are dealing with. It is SO depressing to think that a younger generation are growing up thinking that this is OK. All I can hope is that my children know better and will grow up to be law abiding citizens. I am not so out of touch that I have forgotten what it is like to be a teenager, but honestly I never went about causing criminal damage. What should we do? A few years ago I spoke to a police officer in Dorking and she suggested that we, as a road, club together to get CCTV! What a joke! Is that not what I pay my council tax for? Apologies for the rant.
I whole heartedly agree with your sentiments and wouldn't call it a rant at all. I too have had wing mirrors damaged, bikes stolen and plant pots taken from my home. It drives me mad that anybody would even entertain the thought of tresspasing on anothers property. I certainly wouldn't and have brought my children up the same. I have also considered getting cctv for my house as the police say they can do nothing when you report such a minor offence. It really does make you wonder what you pay the council tax for? I even wondered if I could refuse to pay the Police bit since they never do anything when I have had anything stolen.
As far as the spitting and the rubbish I do challenge people mith mixed response! Younger people who spit usually look pretty sheepish and appologise. It is more of a peer/footballer thing and we as a society need to feel that we can put people right without reprise when they do socially unacceptable things. TB has risen in this country due to spitting in part and we used to have signs in the streets when I was little saying that it was illeagal to spit! Surely the health and saftey anoraks could recognise this is a revenue maker for the council!!!
Might even give the motorists a break. HMM... just had an idea fine the spitters a tenner a time... make evening parking free in dorking!! :o) HOWZAT!
Get Fruti has not renewed their lease.
David Thomas Jewellery on West Street has a sign on its window stating that it is closing down. The stuff on display looks overpriced and you would be better off going to Scotts or Leslie Gilbert on the High Street! Totally agree that the town looks very rundown and shabby. The railings around the town need to be painted and some of them are even broken, the bollards also need a lick of paint, pavements are damaged and there are weeds growing everywhere. No hanging baskets, a lot of empty shops and shops which are very rundown like the Edinburgh Woolen Mill, Boots and the vast majority in St Martin's Walk, send out the message that the town is dying and Mole Valley and Surrey County Council do not give a c**p about this town of ours. Also noticed a poor elderly lady who had fallen on the pavement outside Cafe Rouge on Saturday afternoon. She had blood pouring from her knee and no doubt a claim will be coming Surrey County Council's way! The staff at Cafe Rouge were absolutely magnificent. Anyone else heard that Leatherhead is getting £300,000 to spruce up their town, whilst Mole Valley has taken £6,000 away from Dorking for the hanging baskets. Is it because that the Council has a Conservative majority and Dorking and the Holmwoods have Liberal Democrat councillors??
Cricketers Chris
When you look at all 20 of the comments above this you see an encapsulation of many problems associated with the town: the first blog refers to a florist opening (good luck to them) and the 20th discloses a small cafe closing - which is rotten luck for the owners.
In between come stories from residents about the lack of care displayed by local police and MVDC. It's a big viscous circle which, if read by someone thinking of moving to Dorking, might cause them to pause and reconsider because it doesn't sound like much of a place to move to.
Frankly as things stand at the moment they would probably be right to stop and think about making the move. The retail centre of the town is an almost total mess because of the lack of shoppers and the police appear to care not one jot about the youngsters roaming the town leaving a trail of vandalism in their trail. Worst of all MVDC appears to care not one jot about the town centre: yes, they will tell you, they are interested and they are busy making plans for sometime in th future. The way things are going there will only be a shell town left to save.
It's a great pity there are no district elections this year, it would have given us a chance to throw a few out of office.
Pepin
P.S. I trust Cockerel is OK and hasn't uttered his last "cock-a-doodle-do"
Did you know that it now appears to take two weeks for them to cut the grass along side the A24 between Dorking and Leatherhead? When I first moved here 10 years ago, it would take a day. Then there was the sudden eXplosion in health and safety nonsense and cones started appearing everywhere. Now it takes them TWO weeks to do the frigging job! This morning there were cones everywhere. Even in areas that had already been done. I can only think the cones are necessary incase a crisp packet should suddenly catch the wind and hit someone in the eye. I mean honestly these people are taking the p*$$. We dont need cones everywhere and surely a propper balance should be struck. Soon they will be doing risk assessments about doing a risk assessment. One thing is for sure. Someone is making money out of it and the Mole Valley resident is picking up the bill for it. A tractor mower and a flashing light above is all that is necessary not cones cones cones and more cones. Maybe we should put some of these cones on the heads of the clowns down at Mole Valley. At least they would be then identifiable, and we could see who is making our town such a fortress to get into.
I have to agree with the comments above that the Dorking is in a real mess, the police have given up policing the town and the council have not got a clue when it comes to getting this town through an economic downturn! I am sick and tired with the thuggery which continues to plague the town on a weekly basis - I have had my car scratched and the windows of my house smashed and the police's feeble response is that they have no evidence to prosecute. It is the same old sad story, if I was a few miles over the speed limit, they would be very keen to throw the book at me, if it is anti-social drunken anti-social behaviour they do not want to know about it! The town at present is a disgrace - it is heavily neglected and more and more shops close by the day and still the council has £250K to spend on a reception area. It would not surprise me if the vote on the evening charges was deferred until September, as the council are desperate for our cash! So come on MVDC, SCC and Surrey Police - please show some sort of interest in Dorking as it is only a matter of time before the town will cease to exist! By the way, where is our beloved Cockerel???? It is high time that the Dorking Advertiser ran a piece about the shameful neglect of Dorking and why Leatherhead continues to get much more of its fair share of the monies from Mole Valley???
Newsworthy Neill
Don't forget to put a big D on the front of the cones making their way to Pippbrook!
If it is any consolation, Horsham is also suffering on the trading front. I was there at the weekend and was really surprised at how many shops had vacated Swan Walk. They do have beautiful floral displays as ever!
Dont you just love Surrey County Highways. Chaos today in Leatherhead with the closure of part of Guildford Road to lay a water pipe. 3 weeks of digging up the road. But guess what? It was only just resurfaced just 5 days ago!!!!!!!!!! Surely there should be some sort of coordination here. Someone has to be held to account for this. This is why we have such a mess in Dorking because they dont listen and dont think. Pathetic. Sack them all.
Phew...there are just a small number of people keeping this blog going at the moment. May I suggest Cockerel that one or two new strings may be appropriate?
Perhaps the disparity between how Leatherhead and Dorking are supported by MVDC, or evening parking charges; why did the council delay making a decision?
Pepin
I've got one, what about the demise of Dorking, the town is totally and utterly dead. R.I.P. Dorking
We are customers to MVDC and they are not up to the task. We should be able to sack the whole lot of these uncompetent people (not to use any other terms).
We are paying a lot of money via the council tax for a very basic service.
Just take a look @ the state of the roads (not that we want more unefficient road works, would take 6 weeks on the continent and 60 weeks here for the same job)or bin collection (on the continent 3 times per week, no maggots there).
Never mind supporting the local economy...
They are killing dorking or what's left of it, which to be fair isn't the most thrilling of town @ best of times for young professionals.
A pity, could be so much better with so little effort.
North Holmwood Steve
Speaking of shops to close very shortly - I have noticed that Farber (the ladies clothing shop) on the High Street is up for rent on the Martin Brown website. One scant bit of consolation is the former Robert Barclays (photo shop) is now under offer. As for the Edinburgh Woolen Mill is it me, or is this shop becoming very tacky? With huge sale signs plastered all over the windows and now there is rails of crappy clothing just inside the front door! Is this shop closing as well? It also needs to be painted outside, just like the nearby Boots! --Madhatter
I said on this blog last month that farber were struggling only to see a reply by a friend of the owner that they were doing very well with French and Italian clothes.
Rumour has it that the Robert Barclays shop is going to be an Arabic coffee shop...
Sonja, I hope that you are joking about the Arabic coffee shop. Will it be like the ones up in Edgware Road with the men smoking their shisha outside? Imagine the fuss this would create with Mole Valley? How about an Amsterdam style coffee shop - that would create a 'real buzz' amongst the youngsters! High Flying Harriet;)
What is it with Dorking at the moment as there are a lot of gangs hanging around the high street making a real nuisance of themselves? On Saturday afternoon around 3:30pm outside the off licence (which used to be Unwins, adjacent to the chocolate shop) there were about eight sixteen years spitting, swearing, drinking cans of cheap lager, blocking the pavement and drop all their s**t on the pavement. A few hours later about 5:45pm a different group of six fourteen year olds were at the junction of Ansell Road and the high street outside Patrick Gardener spitting their kebabs at the window, shaking their cans and spraying them at the window and taking kicks at the window, which caused the alarm to go off! As there is a cctv camera above the post office, I wonder if any of this anti-social behaviour was picked up by the muppets at the Srrey Police? I assume it wasn't as the police in Dorking have much better things to worry about like catching the odd speeding motorist in Leigh, Brockham etc. Time for the police to actually police Dorking, or is it too late??????
Council Tax Payer in Mole Valley
What else do you expect.....it is half term, the sun is out and it is warm and the police cannot be bothered to send out a policeman/policewoman to patrol the main streets of Dorking. Coming from America, I am mortified how pathetic the police are in Dorking. I lived in a town which was literally the same size of Dorking and we had fifty police officers in total who monitored every known gang, every bit of anti-social behaviour and knew the kids by name who were causing all the trouble in the town. The police station was in the town, never closed and did not rely on the fuzzy images from the cctv which the police in Dorking always refer to. Why do the residents of Dorking continually put up with this pathetic excuse of a police force (sorry....it is now called a police service!)?? Taxes are high, crime is rising and still the town relies on the community support officers to stem the high levels of crime within the town. Where are the real police officers? Are they hiding behind their paperwork, off sick, or cannot they be bothered to patrol the town? By the way, there is a meeting tomorrow night (Wednesday 27 May) at 7pm in the Christian Centre, if anybody is interested in addressing their concerns to the police. The turnout will probably be very low once again as this meeting has not been mentioned by the police in the local media ie. newspapers, internet etc.
American Arnie
Thats right blame all the kids for all the troubles in Dorking. I think the police do an admirable job keeping the peace and a very low profile. As for the American complaining about the police in Dorking - at least ours still don't carry guns and your overweight coppers go to Dunkin Donuts 24/7. zzzzzzzzzzzzz
if the police did not keep such a low profile there wouldn't be so much trouble in Dorking...
I am confused by this last comment....
I can tell you American Arnie how the police in Dorking get away with it, in real (and I mean REAL) terms they are not accountable to the public. They don't see the public (who pay their wages) as the 'boss' they see the government as the boss simply because they act as the paying agent for the public.
They have also fallen in love with the concept that a police presence on the street does not deter criminal activity - the rest of us know that it does.
Just over the ditch in France is Le Touquet, a seaside town just a bit larger than Dorking with more bars than you can begin to imagine. Do they have serious anti social behaviour in the evenings? No chance because the local police are always on duty in the middle of the town every night seven days a week.
Enjoy this evening, you'll hear more platitudes than you can even begin to imagine.
Pepin
No word from the cockerel for a month now...perhaps Pepin should take over as the resident Dorking blogger...
Are there any other Dorking blogs? Ceebie, have you got a blog/forum function on the Dorkingabout website?
Please say the new coffee shop is a joke!
Well it looks like the thin blue line in Dorking will get even thinner. The Surrey Police are at loggerheads with the government and according to the police 50 frontline police jobs will be cut as the government digs in their heels to cap the police. Hope that this makes sense. So expect a refund on your council tax for the measly sum of £3.12 whilst jobs are being cut across the board at the Surrey Police. So Labour have screwed the Surrey Police and it looks like the Mole Valley Conservatives have got in on the act and have decided to screw Dorking over the £1 evening charge according to the Dorking Ad. I USED to be a Conservative voter, but I will never vote them ever again in a local or a general election. To simply say the £1 evening charge in Dorking is viable is a disgrace. The town is dying and even Woodcocks the chemist which has been there for years is relocating to South Street because of the rents, business rates etc. So thanks for nothing Gordon Brown & the Labour Party as crime will get a lot worse in Surrey and to the Mole Valley Conservatives for destroying the town of Dorking. It is only a matter of time before the sports centre and the Dorking Halls goes forever. Jo
I have just seen on the Dorking Ad website that the council is opting to keep the £1 parking charge. And after reading some of the absurd comments made by Mr Reynolds I don't know whether to laugh or cry! Apparently they are claiming the charge is popular because a thousand odd people have paid for tickets. Obviously then taxes are also popular - as everyone opts to pay them as well. What a joke! - although what this is going to do to this town is far from funny!
Disturbed Dorking Jo
I see from the Dorking Advertiser that the Mole Valley Conservative councillors who represent areas outside Dorking itself have decided to maintain the evening parking charges. Some of them represent areas where the residents will certainly be affected by the parking charges when visiting Dorking Halls or the Swimming centre, eg people from Capel, Leigh, Newdigate, Betchworth, Brockham, Leatherhead South, Mickleham, Westhumble and Pixham. Remember this when voting next week.
Of course we could boycott the car parks concerned, After all the Wathen Road car park is only a 5 minute walk away and does not charge in the evenings (yet!)
But we must not sabotage the Pay and Display machines by inserting superglue in all the machine's orifaces. Don't do it!
I have some bad news for everyone and partly explains what has happened to the cockrel. I think he has been eaten by a sneaky, clever old fox and that explains whilst there has been no posts for quite a while now. I would like to say I saw a few feathers floating around on the High Street, and I am pretty sure it was OUR feathered friend. I hope I am wrong. RIP cockrel.We miss you.
Sad, if true. Let's hope it's more a case of what I believe Mark Twain (?) said..."reports of my death have been much exaggerated," of course it's also possible that he's got fed-up with the whole exercise - who knows.
Pepin
Did anyone see Dorking on last night's news? there was footage of a LibDem trying to gove leaflets out on the High Street and largely being ignored.
Anyone know of another forum/blog we can all meet on? this one seems to be dying a slow death?
Dougie
I saw Dorking on the news! So, are people going to vote and if so who for? I do want to vote but not sure what to do for the best.
Another blog might be a good idea now, no new updates / threads makes boring reading...
What news was Dorking on? Was it the national news or was it the local London news from ITV or the BBC? Heard that there was an 'incident' late on Saturday night that brought loads of police cars to the High Street. Apparently a drunken young man climbed the roof on top of the Zaffron Indian restaurant and jumped down onto the roof of the Dorking Kebab breaking his leg in the process. It happened around 1130pm and it took a hour to get him down as he was stranded up there. What an idiot and I hope the moron learned his lesson.
Newsworthy Neill
Newsworthy Neill, it was on the BBC news at Six - local (London) news section.
Interesting question...who should we vote for? Perhaps I am alone in this respect but I haven't the faintest idea who the candidates are in the SCC election (other than the LibDem Hazel Watson) because so far (aside from a polling card) I have received nothing from any other candidate. I assume there is a Conservative and a Labour hopeful but I honestly haven't got a clue.
I am not by nature a LibDem but at least Hazel Watson seems to be reasonably active...and as a bonus she seems to actually want the job!
Much the same applies to the Euro election on Thursday, nobody has told me the name of anyone standing. Am I alone in this?
Perhaps the candidates would like to send me a message via this blog?
Pepin
That's it, the silence says it all - the Cockerel must have become victim to fowl pest.
Pepin
Where to next then? Any ideas?
dorkingdiary is a new website trying to get established. I bet they would set up a forum if someone asked. I'll try now.
I expect the 'cockerel' is lying low from the blog while the people who hijacked it for a moan finish and move on to somebody else! If you look back to when the dorking blog was started in Aug 2005 you will see it is a simple record of the events in Dorking not a political soapbox. If someone would like to make their own blog which raises issues like 'Why is MVDC killing the town?' then please do and let Mr Cockerel return to his blog in peace!
K
K, touching though your input is I rather think you are missing the point.
For years Dorking has been in a very difficult situation and now is not the time to try and pretend that everything is OK because that's far from the truth.
For some reason some people (and here's a hint: they all get together once a month for a chat at MVDC) have deciced to hang Dorking out to dry. If you have any affection for the town please wake-up to what is actually happening and don't suggest that what we all need is a cup of tea and a slice of cake in the Little Dudley House - sadly that's gone too.
Pepin
Can i suggest someone picks up from where the cockerel left off and starts a new blog. It's quite clear there is a lot of interest here and people keep checking back, obviously this one is a perfect vehicle for promoting a new one. Another suggestion is getting in touch with the BBC as i do believe they are very interested on doing features on dying towns.
Hi everyone.
I have set up a new blog as follows:
http://peopleofdorking.blogspot.com/
I hope to open this up so that people can start their own topics rather than posting on whatever the owner of the blog did (ie how this blog has been working)
I will have a little play with it and post details of the password etc so we can all start topics.
Hope it works!!
Dougie
Dougie - every possible success.
Pepin
Thanks pepin.
I've set it up so that we can move over there as this site seems to have ground to a halt. If you, Jo, newsworthy, annoyed Anthony, ceebie and anyone I've forgotten want to post new topics as well as contribute to ones already going you can do so if we all share the following details: name: peopleofdorking. Password: blogblog
The only problem is we will all appear as the same name so we will all have to sign off under our posts.
Hope to see you all there!!
Dougie.
Correction: use peopleofdorking@hotmail.com as the sign-in name and blogblog as password.
Ps sorry forgot about cricketers chris.
there's a different system for posting comments on the new blog. Anyone know how to do it without signing up?
Hi there.
Spent quite a bit of time trying to add a very substantial comment recommending restaurants in the Dorking area only to find that my comment did not go through. What am I doing wrong?? Please advise, as I would like to contribute to the new blog - People of Dorking.
Newsworthy Neill
Sorry Dougie but i have to admit your new blog is shit nothing personal but i alongwith other can't contribute. SORT IT OUT!!
I can't seem to leave anything either. I'm no computer expert and not sure what we are doing wrong. I'll have a play and see what I can do.
Dougie
Ok, I can start new topics by signing in as peopleofdorking@hotmail.com and using password blogblog. But if I sign out and try to post replies as anonymous, nothing happens. How are others able to post reply messages?
Does anyone know enough about computers to log in using the above info and look at the settings. I'd be grateful if someone would try. i'm using Firefox. Maybe explorer would be better. I'll try that.
Dougie
I think it's fixed. Try it now.
By the way, it's very easy to be rude when you can hide behind a computer. Bear in mind that I have set up the new blog because this one has ground to a halt. I have done it in my own time for the benefit of everyone on here. I owe you nothing, so please don't tell me to sort it out and call it shit. At least I have done something.
David, Pepin, Alex, Ceebie, Neil, and anyone else who is prepared to be civil, I look forward to discussing our town with you on the other site.
Dougie
I am 70 years old and hardly computor literate but had no difficulty at all in getting on to new site.
There is no need for abuse or swearing... just carry out Dougie's simple instructions, right.
All you have to do is delete the address on this site (top left!) and type in the new address http://peopleofdorking.blogspot.com and press 'go'!!!!! On the new site you choose the blog you want to talk on (test)? then you will see entries by other migrants. THEN, all you have to do is start writing in the square provided....
And no swearing...!
David N
Has everyone given up on this blog??
Like a ghost town on here.
Bit like Dorking itself, actually, hahaha!!!
you obviously haven't read all the comments above, everyone has moved on....
seems quiet on the new site. Where is jo? Anthony, newsworthy, cricketers chris, ceebie sonja etc? Have they gone somewhere else? Or just given up? We need them more than ever.
I told you the other site's shit and everyone moaned cos i was swearing!!Someone needs to do a blog like this one just straight forward and easy to post. Dont get offended Dougie just put your limited I.T. skills to use and get on with doin another blog!!!
To the anonymous contributor above: I think the reason that Dougie and others rebuked you was that, apart from using swearing on the blog, you were very critical without offering anything positive. I've looked at the new one and I think the initial problems have been ironed out, although I haven't written anything on there yet. At least someone has done something!!
Pete.
Hi Anonymous of 9.25AM
I dont understand why you feel that the alternative site is more difficult and less straightforward than this one especially as you say that Dougie's IT skills are 'limited', implying that yours are more extensive....
The other site enables you to not only add comments to current threads but start one or more of your own thus widening the discussions. Surely, your own extensive IT experience allows you to do this?...
OR, YOU could start another "straight forward" blog like this one
David N
Hi Chaps,
Nothing to say really....just got fed up with seeing '74 Comments' when checking if any movement on here! Wouldn't mind starting a new thread on the 'Peoples' Blog' if I could find out how to.
Hope we all supported Independents' Day!
Sorry to make you scroll down so far just for this!
Hi Ceebie
Because I thought it may be bit confusing to start a thread on the other site I put instructions on it yesterday. Thats what I did and it worked...
David N
Ceebie
SignIn: peopleofdorking@hotmail.com
Password: blogblog
David N
Thanks David but I did follow those instructions but couldn't 'get in', presumably because I had already signed-in using my email address. I'll delete that and try again....though not straight away...things to do!
I am new to Dorkers and found this site very easy to use and informative. I don't think it would be too difficult to re-surrect using the same blogging site https://www.blogger.com/start but unfortunately don't have an awful lot of time or experience to set up or host.
Bring Back the Blog!!!!
New one up here: http://peopleofdorking.blogspot.com
I have to confess, sadly, the new blog is causing me all sorts of problems - most notably if I try to post anything the site goes unstable and eventually causes my internet connection to cease responding. Goodness knows why.
Pepin
Hi Pepin, Ceebie, David.
Just back from holiday! Sorry to hear that the new blog is causing problems. I haven't had any problems and it is exactly the same as this one as far as I know. If you can post on this blog, there shouldn't be any problems with the new one.
Anyone know how to set up a forum? That would be more what we need than a blog, really.
Dougie
We have left a post on the new blog with no problems - very easy to do!
Corner House Girls
Miss this blog quite a bit and I have left my first message on the new People of Dorking website. I must admit it is carrying on from where this left off ie. complaining about the state of the town, the huge amount of empty shops in Dorking, the ridiculous parking charges etc. Jo
That's what we all enjoy doing Jo. With the new blog anyone can post whatever they like so if it's all moan moan moan then you have to conclude that that is what gets people writing.
Someone did bother to put a positive piece offering photos of the town and saying nice things about the local restaurants and it was good to read something upbeat.
With respect didn't you used to be one of the most vocal critics if the town on thus blog?
Myrtle Turtle
can anyone in dorking tell me the best place to get a reasonably priced sandwich and a GOOD coffee thanks for your help
has this blog died?
new blog at www.allnewdorkingblog.blogspot.com
Did the blogger lose interest, or did Dorking lose interest, or what? Nothing for two years...
Post a Comment
<< Home