Kings Arms - West Street
A couple of people on here have commented on the downward spiral of service and clientele that seems to be affecting one of our most important pubs, "The Kings Arms".
I agree with this as I went in there a couple of weeks ago and sat in the main garden. An argument broke out between two young blokes and it just went on for ages. At one point, one of them asked the other "What school did you go to?", that shows what a joke it was. As if that question would mean anything to any normal drinker in the pub. The whole thing just dampened the atmosphere and a few drinks got knocked over.
There are two other recent incidents that I have personally witnessed the bar staff being totally out of order:-
One where a couple were unbelievably told to "F**! off out of the pub" by the dark haired barman, after rightly raising a question about unreasonably limited drinking up time.
And another where a mature, respectful looking, couple walked into the pub with a small dog and were told "No dogs in here" by the fair haired barman, with the beard. When they left a regular said "You let dogs in here don't you?" and he replied "They were Scottish", in what he thought was a funny joke.
That comment was outrageous, depressing and makes me sick.
It appears, The Kings Arms on the whole is still good, but they really need to get their staff in order to show some respect to clientele and get rid of the underage or borderline rif-raf!


4 Comments:
Very sad news to hear that The Kings Arms is losing its way. They have been numerous comments about the staff. I agree with all your observations. Recently, the staff find it okay to ignore the customers by talking to their mates, are very often very aggressive, miserable and find it impossible to figure out who is next in the queue. As it has been said before, the landlord (I think it is still Stewart) is very rarely in the pub. Therefore, the manager and the staff take the attitude - why bother about upsetting the loyal customers and who cares if we serve a few underage drinkers.... A very sad day for Dorking if The Kings Arms becomes another Malthouse, Bulls Head and the infamous ex-Jolly Butchers. The kids belong in school not in this public house!!
I am a Scottish resident of Dorking and I am appalled by this ignorant attitude. Please could you post when this event happened as I would like to take the matter further.
It happened sometime this summer. I would say about July. It was in some ways a throw-away comment that I doubt he would even remember.
I totally understand your feelings though. At the time I felt that it was one of those things that was so unnecessary, depressing and not funny.
I too, as a long and lasting customer of the kings arms for near on twenty years and still a regular visitor find the staff incredibly immature and uninterested in the custom, whether it be long standing locals or newbies very unfriendly and uninterested.
I understand now that a lot of the other more caring and updated public houses who care about their custom are now enjoying all the original frequenters of the KA. What a shame. Come on Stuart sort it out or risk loosing all.??
Post a Comment
<< Home